PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I agree with Hoosier - same blend, multiple smokes then you can make such general statements.

And actually to be more precise you need to repeat this with another blends and multiple smokes.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Most of my pipes are estates. Most of them were great finds, almost all bought online. But I do have a ziploc of pipes that can’t be de-ghosted. I’ve tried everything, but that damned 1Q apparition refuses to yield.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Perhaps I need to learn how to have more patience, or lower my expectations. I certainly did not mean to upset anyone. I shall continue to learn, experiment and relax and enjoy the smoke. Thank you all for your input.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I certainly did not mean to upset anyone

No worries. The Cob guys always get upset :puffpipe:
These posts always (always) have the same conclusions. There will never be a right answer.
This weeks podcast featuring Alan Schwartz offering some of the BEST discussion on pipe pricing and lore that I heard. IMHO it is a fantastic episode. The discussion of how and why pipe smokers make purchases is brilliant and Alan distilled it down wonderfully.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I will tune in, thank you Neal.

I will admit, the reason I bought the Castello was due to such high praise sung here and almost universally. I expected the flavors to pour out of it effortlessly. It is freshly cleaned and reamed. Perhaps I am just tasting the sharpness I have heard comes along with these pipes when "young" or the ghost of latakia I taste from the previous owner. I think I am just a mid level pipe guy.

Jul 12, 2011
No worries, great advice here from the members - I purchased a new Castello Sea Rock (KK) and from first smoke it was an out of this world smoker - first dozen or so smokes where very bright, then after that it tuned in and now delivers sweet/rich flavors of the blends.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Occasionally you find an inexpensive pipe that smokes really well, but don't make a generalization out of it. Some of the best makers produce duds, rarely, but it happens. Some of the more modestly priced makers produce a really exceptional pipe, above their average. Also, there are a variety of factors that go into the pricing of a pipe.
- Sablebrush posted earlier.
This is one of those times when I'm in full agreement with Sable. Despite their best efforts, you sometime find a "higher" brand pipe where the drilling is just not where its supposed to be. Occasionally, you find a less expensive pipe where it's drilled perfectly.
eggrollpiper - You say you're off estates for awhile. Do you buy your estates only on eBay by any chance? I stopped buying on eBay a couple of years ago because even with pictures there are no guarantee as to what you are getting problem wise. I buy my estates at antique/collectible shops and malls and antique street fairs. You never know for sure what you are going to find but I've found some nice pipes. I'm currently smoking an Ascorti I found. I also have a rare Peterson Kapp-Royal, a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro bulldog and a Savinelli Non Pareil Oom Paul. All of these are pipes I smoke once or twice a month and paid less that $30 for.
edit: I forgot to mention my oldest pipe. It's a Salmon & Gluckstein silver banded pipe made between 1890 and 1920. The stamping on the band is for 1890.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I ONLY buy estate pipes from SmokingPipes. They have an entire department that goes through and evaluates them and then goes through and restores them. They do a great job of reaming the cake back and doing alcohol treatments to get as much of the ghost out of it as possible.
I agree with Per Jensen, you shouldn't rub out a flake or coin cut. Personally I've had better experiences with them using the fold and stuff method. The flavors are more pronounced and they evolve and dance so to speak more when I fold and stuff as opposed to rubbing out the flake/coin. With LBF I just take 2-3 coins depending on the bowl that I'm using and fold them over left to right to keep them tall and then just gently work it into the bowl. It typically leaves a good air pocket in the heel of the bowl and keeps the leaf together as the blender intended. This gets better ratios in my opinion and a more clearer picture of what the blender intended the flavor profile to be.
I agree, you can find a really good smoker in a $60 Stanwell sometimes and sometimes you can find a dud in a $200 Savinelli. I think overall however, your chances of getting a dud goes down as the price goes up with pipes, especially when you get into the handmade artisan carvers. I also would second having more bowls before you declare the $160 Castello a dud. Maybe it wants a straight Virginia maybe it wants a Balkan or English blend. Maybe it works better with a ribbon cut than a coin cut.
I hope you find the right blend and packing for the Castello. I hear they're typically some really good pipes and they do have some incredible aesthetic looks.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There are so many variables with pipes that you can't predict whether you've picked a winner or a loser. I have a Dunhill that smokes horribly and one of the best pipes I own, and have smoked for 40+ years, is a meerschaum-lined Canadian that was a $20 basket pipe.
Russ

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you all for great information and conversation. Life is a learning process, for sure.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The pipe arrived visually, very clean. I broke the pipe apart this morning after allowing it to cool overnight and dipped a pipe cleaner in Bacardi ran it through the shank and.... it's was filthy. Yuck.. another lesson learned... clean dem pipes...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It is one of the pipe community's most popular tropes, the cheap pipe VS the expensive pipe. We like it for so many reasons, how smart we were to buy that cheap pipe, how stupid people are who buy an expensive pipe, what a lie it is to say that you have to spend a lot of money to get a good pipe, pipe snobs are clearly idiots, that it doesn't matter that we can't afford an expensive pipe, etc, etc. It's the class struggle of the piping world, and it's always largely framed in simplistic limited terms. Smoking two different pipes, once, with different blends, proves absolutely nothing, couldn't possibly be a weaker case made, and we're all over it because we LOVE this kind of stuff. :)

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Sable,

I shall repent, for my wrong doings. For I am but a humble youngster to the serious pipe world.
I completely understand the ongoing debate as I am a photographer, a very gear oriented profession. I have learned that the finer equipment can and will more often,enable more predictable and pleasing results.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It is one of the pipe community's most popular tropes, the cheap pipe VS the expensive pipe.
For me it isn't so much that the cheap pipes I have are better than expensive ones. I simply can not afford very expensive pipes. I would love to buy some of the beautiful pipes I see but can't. It isn't even sour grapes. It's just pleasure in discovering that a cheap pipe is serving me well. Sort of like vehicles I suppose. I'm happy that the cheap vehicle I have spins just like a top. I would love to have a nice BMW. I appreciate the handling and engineering in those vehicles but am delighted that my cheap-o car serves its function for me. I don't think people who have expensive pipes are stupid or foolish. On the contrary I am happy that someone is enjoying those nice pipes. In the meantime I delight in acquiring a cheap pipe that smokes better than expected.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nothing to repent! Glad you are looking, experimenting, positing.
Now, what do you think of the changes in Lightroom between version 17 and 19?? Or in PS?
OK, kidding, they don't label them that way, but there sure have been a lot of versions. And kidding anyway.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable,

I shall repent, for my wrong doings. For I am but a humble youngster to the serious pipe world.
I completely understand the ongoing debate as I am a photographer, a very gear oriented profession. I have learned that the finer equipment can and will more often,enable more predictable and pleasing results.
No repentance required. I'm with you about photo gear. iPhones take very good pix, but compared to a quality camera and lens set up, they're very limited.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As far as the airway ("engineering") goes, my recently bought Stanwells are nearly as good or better than many of my more expensive pipes. I'm not surprised that yours smokes particularly well. My Stanwells don't have the same mellow taste that many of my other pipes do, but as fair as having a straight, well-drilled airway from bowl to button, Stanwells are consistently very good in my experience.
To be sure, they're not quite as good as most of the artisan/handmade pipes I own (like my Ryan Alden pipes, for instance).

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I have been using PhotoShop since 1994 and I still don't have a clue about half of that program's capabilities. I use Nikon View and Capture 99% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.