PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, you're right, anthony. There are pitfalls! Pretty sure, though, that Rolexes and Diamonds won't be delivered by drone, nor by a single van driver. And they won't leave the package on the doorstep or porch! :)

Jan 8, 2013
Pretty sure, though, that Rolexes and Diamonds won't be delivered by drone, nor by a single van driver. And they won't leave the package on the doorstep or porch! :)
Maybe, maybe not. But you never know, and it's getting harder and harder to trust people to make wise decisions as technology continues to replace the human brain at an alarming rate :lol:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have seen tests of the Amazon delivery drone system. The route and address is pre-programmed so nobody needs to control it directly. They can automatically avoid obstacles but I would assume there are cameras aboard so the drone can be monitored.
---->Amazon Drone Video

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Imagine not having to wait for UPS or FedEx to show up with an item requiring a signature. You just call a number, advise that you are home for twenty minutes. Ten minutes later the item shows up at your door. You sign with a password or fingerprint, put on the watch and go about your business. Or, this scenario: You get a text from Amazon, tell them where you will be for the next hour, drone arrives in 30 and you have your latest purchase. Almost immediate gratification! The youngsters will love that.
When it happens, and it will, the customer will find it convenient and probably painless. The vendor will have various protections, insurance, etc. Drone delivery may initially be restricted to certain items and may be only for expedited deliveries. Might be surcharges? Who knows? But, it is coming and the customers will embrace it! The retailers will see to that.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Amazon has been setting up fulfillment/distribution centers across the country, no doubt strategically placed for access. One I know of is in a BFE town but within a couple hours of major cities in three states, a fleet of drones operating out of fully stocked centers with people packing orders isn't far off. A computer in every home? Come on. 30 years later....

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
They had to hire the usps to make Sunday deliveries who would of thought that would of happened? Amazon has already made a drone delivery in the U.K.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jesse- You need to go to more religious services, then. Or, worse, tune into a politician's speech that lasts more than ten minutes!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This should not be all that difficult; drone goes up to 350ft, flies over obstacles, drops package on your front door and photographs it there. You then get an email with the photograph. Last mile delivery is apparently the most expensive part, and this would cut that down quite a bit. However, cost savings would likely not be passed on to the consumer.
Even more impressive would be delivery by Tomahawk. You order it, the missile fires, and a few minutes later the package arrives in your living room at 600 mph.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One wrinkle that seems to need working out ... most deliveries are made to leave the package under cover, like on a porch or overhang, to protect the item from rain. If they could be dropped in the yard or at the stoop, that would make it much easier. But navigating the delivery through the trees and up the front steps, or back steps, etc., could be demanding of the pilot and riskier to the drone. I still think drones would hit people, vehicles, pets, property. I don't think it would be as easy as it seems, but maybe I'm just fretting. Wouldn't large dogs tend to lunge at the low flying birds and break the drone or injure themselves?

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
For the most part, I think drone deliveries will be a special option for delivery and not the norm. It's not that efficient to carry just one package, plus all the operation certificates that would be needed. My company and I are commercially certified by the FAA and we need to follow rules just like airplanes and each drone is registered with an N number, and we need certificates of operation to fly in controlled airspace. Shooting down a drone is a federal offense, you have no rights to the air over your house, so I'll put that to rest, plus, we are way to busy working than giving a crap about what you are doing in your backyard. A lot of the better drones these days have auto-landing as well as collision avoidance. We are flying some prototypes right now that allow us night operations, super cold weather, and emergency parachute/recovery systems. Most commercial drone operators like us work hard to be safe and responsible, it's the jokers flying them after buying one at best buy that's causing a lot of problems. Ok...rant over.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My presumption is the drone will deliver to you, not to your residence. You'll be texted or called. When you are home or some other acceptable location, the package will be delivered to you. Will you pay extra? Most likely! But, I like the idea of not having to wait to sign for a UPS or some such delivery scheduled for deliver "before 8pm." I'd pay for the convenience as my time is worth it, especially for an item I need expedited. I'm normally losing money sitting home unless I'm billing or doing post on the computer. I'm not making money when out shooting either but, I am creating product.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
As someone who grows Sugar Cane on his land I get many Publications as to what is new in Farmland. Surveying your field for moisture, Thermal image info and scores of info is the hot thing. Tried to get the link but my computer skills are not that great. Goggle Drones for Farmers and be amazed at the Technology, Future is here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife was just gifted with a tiny unit, the size of a small alarm clock lying on its side. You address it as Alexa and request music or a radio show or many other possible things, or ask her to time your baking or cooking, and she does so. Preservation Hall Jazz Band, bingo, there they are. She's friendly and cooperative, and frankly a little scary. Probably listening to us. The future is here indeed.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I've had a few blends delivered via email. They were kinda airy and had no flavor !

Status
Not open for further replies.