PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last few days, I've had to keep my dog, Scamp, by my side all day. He's had issues lately, blindness, eating issues, and lately he has had a bad limp and hasn't wanted to walk at all. This morning the vet gave us a choice... amputate his leg, which at his age and sensitive constitution would most likely speed up his demise, or just making him as comfortable as possible for as long as he wants to stay in this world with us. It's been tough. We have to feed him by hand and carry him out to the yard to do his business. But, he still wags his tail when he sees us, so Intake that as a sign of encouragement.
He has always been such a great and obedient dog. Here he is picking out a new pipe at The Briary..

E9AB7100-A709-44F4-A737-6C7E81522E93_zpsxbabvhdy.jpg

Anyways, we are most likely just going to make him as comfortable as possible. For the kids, I hope he stays with us throughout the holidays.

But, tough choices, nonetheless.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I'm going to be going through this as well, hopefully not for a little while yet. Rushed home from working away last month in time to see her back to her normal self. Hoping for the best for you and him.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
This hits a nerve of old memories.
Good luck to you and Scamp, sir. Those choices are indeed difficult.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sorry to hear of this. You are going through one of life's toughest challenges. I hope Scamp finds some comfort and am certain he knows how much he is loved.
I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'd trade all of my pipes and tobacco for another day with certain friends, human and otherwise.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Sorry to hear this. I can empathize with you, as I have been through this with a few of my "best friends" and it is brutal. dogs are cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scamp has a wonderful face. Of course you'll see his departure is as late as can be, but as gentle as possible. My feelings go with you, and Scamp.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Just lost my beloved companion of 13 yrs. a couple months ago.
God Bless.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm really sorry about this. You see, I'm going through a similar situation -- although my pooch has not yet declined to the extent that Scamp has. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I wouldn't do an operation. Let him be as comfortable as he can. Operations like that at that age cause more stress. Hope he gives your family happiness and comfort for more than just the holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.