Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiorenan

Lurker
Oct 20, 2018
I've started smoking cigarettes a while ago but was never really satisfied due to knowing how badly they'd affect my health but since I really like smoking what could I do? I started watching a few Youtube videos and found out about cigars and tried a few cheap ones but when I bought them I also saw the pipes at the store and kept them on my mind. I tried the cigars and specifically the ones I bought I didn't quite like them. Then I thought it'd be interesting to give the pipes a try and bought a cheap one as well as a national tobacco called "Amsterdam" and was a completely different feeling from smoking the cigars. I'm a very patient person and the whole ritual involved in pipe smoking just got me and I instantly loved the experience. The tobacco I choose for my first experience wasn't the best choice I can say but not much long after smoking a few bowls I bought the "Captain Black Royal" one and was a completely different experience, much smoother and better! Today I own two pipes, cheap ones, and have bought some "7 seas black " tobacco as well as some recommended national ones I am just waiting for them to arrive to try them out. What I can definitely say so far is that I really, really have been enjoying the experience and am thrilled to be part of this community. My father and grandpa were never really pipe smokers and the videos I've found on Youtube have really helped me and still do to learn the foundation of pipe smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Aromatics tend to turn away beginners but it sounds like that may be your kind of tobacco. You may also enjoy bulk blends from Lane Limited such as 1-Q and RLP-6. Welcome aboard!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Its a lot of fun , the actual smoking part is good too
Its great to peruse sales , check kijiji , look for estate pipes , blend tobacco , grow tobacco , join in the brotherhood ..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cass', welcome aboard, and it sounds like you are wading right in and learning a lot. Don't apologize for "cheap" pipes. A pipe professional with Lanes in a pipesmagazine interview allowed as how he wasn't much of a pipe man, more a tobacco man, so he smoked the pipes he got free at work, standard Stanwells I think they were. I have some higher-end pipes, but I enjoy my Yello-Bole, Drinkless Kaywoodie, various Missouri Meerschaum cobs, and so forth. The main thing is to learn about pipes and shop carefully, and you can have excellent pipe smoking with moderately priced pipes. The joy of artisan and high-end pipes is a wonderful thing, but by no means required.

cassiorenan

Lurker
Oct 20, 2018
Yeah mso489, I complete agree! The ones I like the most are the classic ones as shown in these images, but the ones I've been using right now are working just fine indeed.

url

url

url
url

Status
Not open for further replies.