PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It's the longest day of the year, so be sure to squeeze in that extra smoke.
Blessed be.
jay-roger.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
10:30 pm twilight here with the boys and wife asleep and enjoying another nice bowl of Director's Cut. Merry Solstice! Summer stretches out before us but the days get ever shorter here north of the equator.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Longest daylight of the year to be specific. The day is still 24 hours, give or take a few milliseconds. I look forward to continuing extended daylight, if not quite like this. I don't like it when it gets dark by 5 p.m., but I work at not letting it get to me. It always cheers me up at the end of December when we turn the corner again, even though it isn't noticeable for some time. I do like like getting up and seeing the daylight at 6 a.m., getting the newspaper, and going back for another snooze before i get up and get dressed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Embers, educate me on Litha. I like special holidays.
Midsummer or Solstice. A time of crop gathering celebrated when the sun is at its longest day with bonfires and the last embers of the dying fires are collected and tossed into the fields in the belief that they will give energy to next year's crops. I used to think it came from my Native ancestry until I traveled to the UK several years ago and heard of similar traditions called Gathering Day that dated back to the Celts.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Happy Solstice to you all! (even if you are all a bunch of pagan savages)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG-fqvSbqAE

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
(even if you are all a bunch of pagan savages)
If not for "pagan savages" there wouldn't be any pipe smoking.
peace_pipe_5692.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Perfect timing for this great piece on SPC from a couple of days ago:
So significant was tobacco to the Crow and Hidatsa cultures that a miraculous origin story was necessary to explain its existence.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/tobaccos-origin-crow-legend?utm_source=Smokingpipes.com&utm_campaign=239e361f39-Sun_Jun_23_2019_DailyReader&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0e8b6a473f-239e361f39-209332153

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When the daylight gets short, I make a point of still getting out while the sun shines, keeping moving after dark to buoy my mood, and taking advantage of the occasional weekend morning to go ahead and sleep in. I have to defy that feeling at 7 p.m. that it's about 10 p.m. I wouldn't like one of those northerly places where it stays dark for whole months. Nor perpetual daylight for that matter. I visited the ancient temple in Ireland where passages underground are lit by direct sunlight only on the solstice. I pushed my late wife in a wheelchair over gravel to the entrance and we went down the passage on a cane, and communed with the other visitors in total darkness, it not being the solstice, a time with the ancient spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.