PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Gone shopping for a fresh & festive holiday duck.

[I thinking, "Ooo, snowy owl!". Snowy Owl is thinking, "Ooo, red-breasted mergansers!"]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love those owls. Had a hoot owl in a nearby creek bed and I loved to hear it. Unfortunately, it didn't nest there long. Had an accomplished birder show me how to call in screech owls using just a whistle and some spit in the back of my throat. He warned, when you hear them getting pretty close, stop doing the calls or you'll get a territorial male dive bombing your face, and that isn't good. A raptor expert pointed out that the great horned owl is so combative, it will evict eagles from their own nests. Owls have talons that somewhat lock closed so they don't drop their prey.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great pictures. The Snowy Owl is a very impressive bird, I remember seeing them occasionally when I lived in Northern Vermont. Where was this one sighted?

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Owls have talons that somewhat lock closed so they don't drop their prey.

Hawks and owls both have this ability to secure what they grab. When banding them, even with a small hawk, you need a second person to help out... as it takes two human hands to release one hawk or owl foot from your hand or arm should that be called for!
I remember seeing them occasionally when I lived in Northern Vermont. Where was this one sighted?

This is already a nice winter for the white ones in VT. My winter raptor survey route has been in the Champlain Valley since the late 80s.

The young owl, above, was imaged on Amherst Island, Ontario.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This is already a nice winter for the white ones in VT. My winter raptor survey route has been in the Champlain Valley since the late 80s.

The young owl, above, was imaged on Amherst Island, Ontario.
Cool! I lived in Burlington from 1984-94, worked for years on the Lake Champlain Ferries. The first time I saw a Snowy Owl, hunting at night from a high perch on the old Post Office Building, it stopped me dead in my tracks! It was definitely an adult; a BIG bird!
:)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Question: What is the owls' favorite Christmas carol?
Answer: Silent Flight :)
I like it!
Last week i lost a lot of hair. People thought I had had a haircut, but that wasn't what happened. Went to bed Thursday night shaggy, woke next morning shorn. I had fallen victim to a hair robbery. Big difference. Lots of that happening in my neighborhood:).

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Jolly Owled St. Nicholas:
santa_claus_loves_snowy_owl_puzzle-r8819c25166af4226a13bb31735923de7_ambtl_8byvr_512.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I knew by the thread topic it had to be you snowyowl. Thanks for the great photographs. I've still never seen one, but rumor around town is that there's one around our parts.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Great pictures snowy owl! I love the image you capture as the owl was taking flight, I love seeing the details of the feathers in the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.