PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To all our Canadian Forums members, Happy Canada Day on Monday. If there are festivities that might not occur to your friends from other nations, give us an idea of your holiday plans. I think of it as similar to July 4 Independence Day in the U.S. Do you do hot dogs and hamburgers, or something else? Parades? Fireworks? Speeches? Oh! Canada. Have a great holiday.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Mandarin (a major chineese buffet chain) is giving all Canadian citizens a free dinner, just need to prove citizenship. I am going to try to take advantage of that, though the lines might be wrong.
There's usually fireworks and such, parades, the usual.
What I will be doing for sure is enjoying a nice glass of whiskey and a pipe with my old man.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Thanks mso! Canada day celebrations in most of Canada involve wearing flag themed clothing, attending public events such as parades, concerts, fairs, and fireworks, and for most, drinking copious amounts of beer while getting badly sunburnt.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Tom!
Mandarin on Canada Day is a awful awful awful idea. My buddy tried going one year and the line was crazy.
We will probably sit by the in laws pool and have a BBQ there. Maybe I will polish up my Brigham!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Indeed, Happy Canada Day to our brothers from the south! I worked with quite a few Canadians in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska in my younger days. Canada day was always quite the celebration in camp.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Happy Canada Day!
When I went to Vancouver back in '08, I traveled by train from Seattle on Canada Day. After the train crossed the border, we passed by public parks and shoreline, and it was amazing. Everyone wearing red, and having picnics and BBQs, and people would stop and wave at the train as it passed them (even kids and teenagers). I remember thinking it was like some 1950's version of American 4th of July.
Here in the U.S., we throw rocks at trains and flip people the passengers the bird when they pass :nana:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I will begin the day by singing my favorite ode to our neighbors...
:puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Which is inaccurate, though. Canada extends further north than Alaska. :wink:
This is correct! Parts of Canada do extend further north than Alaska. The vast majority of Canada though (both geographically and population) is to the south. Just like parts of Mexico extend further north than parts of the lower 48 US, but they are still our "neighbors to the south".....eh?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Haha, Northern Alaska is the same way, the North Slope Borough (our version of counties) of Alaska is the size of the state of Utah, and has a population of less than 10,000. And like 95% of those 10,000 have been there for 10,000 years.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Happy Canada day. Our family used to do an annual fishing trip to Lac Des Milles Lacs northwest of Thunder Bay. The northern pike would just about jump in the boat; a terrible nuissance to the walleye trollers, who preferred to avoid those slimy snakes and their y-bones, and great fun for us kids. Canada was for me a land of fox dens on the hillside, black bears in the midden, leeches in the water, and eagles on the wing. I should like to revisit those scenes as a man. Here's to the longest non-militarized border between nations in human history! (I guess peace broke out when nobody was looking...)

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Happy Canada Day! I'm in Michigan. Just across the lake from Windsor Canada. Which technically is South of us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.