PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Just wanted to give a big OOH-RAH to all my fellow Marines out there.
Platoon...dismissed. Now fire up a bowl and enjoy yourselves.
Carry on.
Dan

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
USA TODAY - This Sunday Marines in remote parts of Afghanistan's Helmand province, aboard ships and elsewhere in the world will pause to celebrate the 238th birthday of the corps. The tradition has the youngest and oldest Marine cut a cake, preferably with a mameluke sword. But a k-bar knife will do as well.
The Marines take their birthdays - and other traditions - seriously. From their earliest days in boot camp, young Marines are told about Belleau Wood, Iwo Jima and the Chosin Reservoir. Over the course of their career they learn to revere Chesty Puller, Dan Daly and others in the pantheon of Marine legends.
Other services are defined by their missions and their equipment. The Marines too have a unique mission - it's an expeditionary force able to respond quickly. But what really sets it apart is something that is harder to describe but no less potent. It's sometimes described as an esprit de corps, but ultimately it's hard to define.
It's an ancient code that holds that discipline, will and spirit can overcome numerical and technical advantages of an enemy. It is what got Marines to stand up on the beach at Iwo Jima and assault heavy Japanese fortifications.
Anachronistic? Perhaps, but the Marine Corps believes it is this spirit as much as anything else that gives it an edge over its enemies.
Shortly before Sgt. Maj. Carlton Kent retired from the Marine Corps he toured remote bases in Afghanistan with the commandant, speaking with exhausted Marines gathered at dusty outposts.
His message was simple: He told them they had upheld the traditions of the Marines who had come before them.
Acknowledging that some Marines would leave the corps after their combat tour, he told them that no matter how brief their stay in the corps was the eagle, globe and anchor would forever be branded on their hearts.
A platoon commander at Quantico made a similar point more than 30 years ago to a group of civilians arriving for training at Officer Candidate School.
"If you don't get a lump in your throat when you hear the Marine Corps hymn you have no business here," he said.
I still get it.
Happy birthday, Marines.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
@Roth - I did not hear it as of yet but will look for it on the net
@Teddy - I TOTALLY understand your last quote, and I would be willing to bet that there aren't too many of us who DON'T get a bit emotional when we hear the Marines Hymn.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
YUT! We went to the Birthday Ball this year here on MCAS Iwakuni. It was a good ceremony but the location was a little less than desirable. (it was in the gym) It was better than sharing a MRE pound cake in a mud hut in Afghanistan though. Happy Birthday Devil Dogs.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I just read it, Roth, and thank you for bringing it to light in this forum.
I'm not a big Chuck Hagel fan, but he called the ball with this speech and, as the very proud dad of a Marine option on a USN scholarship at the University of Kansas, it made me proud as hell.
My son, Ben, called me Friday night after their banquet and very solemnly told me how the cake was cut up by the C.O. of their district alongside the oldest and the youngest Marine. It moved him profoundly. It moved me profoundly.
Billbearcat, Japan beats any hooch south of the Hindu Kush any day of the week. Thank you for your service, my friend.
God bless all of you gyrenes.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.