Hand Making Labels for My Cellar - Just Because!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
b89f0ec0-ad78-4e6d-ba21-c52f3cef2f20-506x600.jpg

image12-450x600.jpg

Thought I'd share some labels I've been making for my cellar jars. I dabbled in calligraphy a couple of years ago and I've been wanting to pick it back up. These labels are the perfect excuse to combine two things I enjoy. They're not technically sound or "correct" in their proportions, but they're still fun! I might end up redoing these with more vintage looking paper at some point.
Anyway, no real serious point to this post. Maybe it will inspire somebody else to get artsy or creative with their cellar. If so, post some pictures of your creative handiwork! Cheers!

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
That looks like some damn nice calligraphy, mt waller. I honestly thought you'd printed them off until I read your post. I think distressing the paper afterwards with some tea of coffee would finish them off very nicely. Just make sure the ink you use won't run :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I noticed the labels right away from your earlier post on the shadow box. They're a nice touch to any organized cellar/display. Good work! About the closest I'll ever come to that is using some fancy font with my printer. BTW, I found it helpful to include the leaf components or tobacco genre and date on my labels.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love it! That is wonderful. I started a handwriting coarse online last month and bought a fountain pen. This is right up my alley. Your work is great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well of course you do, with that beautiful penmanship, artistic calligraphy. I do mine on the computer and play around with the typefaces, but of course, not nearly as handsome or inspiring as hand-done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well done!
Clear tape over the labels?
You might try a stationary store to see if they had any old stock that you could have for cheap.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Very nice! I have been doing the same thing as much as possible. Just love adding old-world touches to things when I can. I did the same label-making for my pipe rack at home. You can kinda sorta see one here. I have all three filled out now.
20180717_000213-449x600.jpg

I've been meaning to carry it over to all my jars, just haven't gotten there yet. Awesome work!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I started a handwriting coarse online last month and bought a fountain pen.
Neal, aren't you a physician? I thought it went against medical ethics for a doc to have nice penmanship :nana:
Seriously good work, mtwaller! You've inspired me to do a better job on my jars from now on.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks you guys, glad you like them! I’m pretty impatient and want things when I want them, so I didn’t really plan these out very well. If I had I probably would’ve standardized the sizes and used some paper with some more character... but what can ya do. Live and learn. Also I love the vibe of the original labels, which I cannot capture at all, so I’ll probably print and attach those to the lids down the road when I have a free Saturday. jpmcwjr yep it’s just clear scotch tape over paper. Didn’t have a better way on hand if attaching them, but seems to work ok. And carolinachurchwarden I really like your setup, it has tons of Americana character!

Status
Not open for further replies.