PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have a bunch of this in the cellar that I had acquired based on reputation, but I had never actually tried it before . . . that is, until this morning. I cracked open a three year old tin and was completely blown away.
I absolutely love the smell of this stuff in the tin - a dried fruit, almost banana-like aroma. It was perfect to smoke directly out of the tin and I just had one of the ten most enjoyable smokes I have ever had.
It borders on an aromatic blend (which I don't typically like) but this was just fantastic. I smoked it in a wide bowl Castello. It was like a wrestling match between the taste of stewed fruit and peppery perique, and it just never let up all the way to ash. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been completely spellbound by a new (to me) blend, and this was certainly in that category. I have heard that it packs a healthy dose of Vitamin N, but save for a near-death experience with G&G Brown Irish Rope, I seem to be relatively immune to that ingredient.
Call me a believer in The Dark Lord.

Jul 15, 2011
I smoked a tin that was fresh last year and it had this amazing, sharp sort of wine type flavor. I don't know what age does to it but I'm willing to bet that yours was stunning. I love the stuff, need to get some more of it. And as far as the Vitamin N, I smoke 5 brothers and Kendal Kentucky on a regular basis, so I'm sure I could pretty much mainline straight nicotine and not be bothered. I just wrote a review of Pease's Robusto, and his home runs far outweigh his less impressive blends. The only two I've tried that I didn't care for were Quiet Nights and Navigator, but I've tried more from him than any other blender and I am constantly impressed.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I love Haddo's. It's one of my favorites, and quite possibly one of Greg's best blends. There really is no other like it. The closest I've smoked would be Two Friends Heritage.

Jul 15, 2011
Someone was saying on here some weeks ago that there is a Cornell and Diehl blend that you can buy in bulk that taste's exactly like Haddo's for a fraction of the cost. Can't remember who said it, but if the aforementioned poster reads this, what was the blend exactly? I'm wanting to say it was "Exclusive" but I'm not sure that's right.
EDIT: Poplar Camp. I think that was it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, shame on you for not trying it sooner. The entire world knows that next to Escudo, the preeminent vaper on the planet is Haddo's. I would be smoking pounds of it if I could handle the reds in it. Years ago when my affliction to reds was not as bad and my ability to handle pain was better, Haddo's was almost a daily smoke for me. The combination of stewed fruit flavor and the spicy perique is one of the best out there. It was the first Pease blend I ever tried and me and all my buddies were in love instantly.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Haddo's is a chameleon that changes quickly with age. A new tin will taste almost tangy and will be completely different in only six months. A year later, the stewed fruit element is much more apparent. Generally, there are top notes of cocoa and orange.
A while ago I opened a ten year old tin of Haddo's which turned out to be one of the most sublime moments in my forty plus years of pipe smoking.
Peck, you are on to something very good.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Pipe novelist-- I don't know if it is I'm bulk, but C&D Exhausted Rooster is the closest blend I have found to Haddos. It is NOT identical, of course, but it's definitely the closet in flavor, I think.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I never got around to trying this one. Am I an ass for secretly wanting the GLP blends that I haven't tried yet to be not very good? I just keep hoping for a misfire from him so I can take that blend off my list.
As it stands, I have never had a mediocre blend from Pease, and I have a feeling that HD is going to be no different.
Added to the list...

Great! I love Haddo's fresh, and I have several pounds aging in incriminates of 6 months. I love this stuff, and now I look forward to it with a little age.
+1 Pipe Novelist, that was me. C&D Poplar Camp, I had posted that it was almost like Haddos, but instead of the Green River cavendish, it has another type of burley. I believe that I had read that Greg had worked on that blend, but I can't say where I heard that, but it is the best parts of Haddo's without that casing aroma, an all natural Haddo's, ...so to speak. I've smoked 2 oz to try it, and next month I will have add a few pounds of it to the cellar.
It's great to hear that Haddo's was so well accepted. I am envious that your's is so much older than mine. :puffy:

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I've also had a 10 yr old tin that was nothing short of sublime

Jan 8, 2013
Peck, I know that you've smoked a heck of a lot more blends than I have. So... if Haddo's Delight blew you away, I know it has to be good. I just added it to my short list.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you like Haddo's, but wished that it had a touch of Latakia in it, then try Two Friends' Valle Crucis, created by Craig Tarler & G. L. Pease.
In addition, I very much enjoy Cairo for its fruity flavor in the style of Haddo's. It is a Perique-forward Virginia and Oriental mix with a wine-like palate, and hints of the same topping found in Haddo's and Valle Crucis. Better as an after dinner smoke than on a clear palate.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
peck, shame on you for not trying it sooner. The entire world knows that next to Escudo, the preeminent vaper on the planet is Haddo's.
Harris, you are wise in the ways of the pipe, and I respect you deeply, but you're a little off the mark here pal. Haddo's is delightful, and is second only to Director's Cut by HU Tobacco, both of whom are marginally greater than Escudo... We're all lucky bastards to be so spoiled for choice.
In addition, I very much enjoy Cairo for its fruity flavor in the style of Haddo's. It is a Perique-forward Virginia and Oriental mix with a wine-like palate, and hints of the same topping found in Haddo's and Valle Crucis. Better as an after dinner smoke than on a clear palate.
Cortez you evil, evil, TAD enabler... Now I have to absolutely try Cairo. You had me at, "Perqiue-forward Virginia and Oriental mix," and I'd bet that you get Peck to consider buying a tin or two, too.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It's in my short list for my next order in a couple weeks. Glad it got such a highe review from @peck, makes it an easier decision to put it in.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pat, I have not tried that HU yet, does it have red virginia's in it?
Now let's discuss your statement that is pure blasphemy, while HU may be great, if I am correct it has not been around that long so do we know it will be great 10-15 years from now when fresh as Escudo and Haddo's are? Does it have the world wide cache that Escudo and Haddo's have? Do woman run to you when they smell your Escudo and Haddo's? Do they beg to have sex with you once they get a whiff? I think not. lol

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I'll have to jump on the "Cairo is amazing" train as well. Its practically a daily smoke for me. I love it and it is only getting better with time. I am down to my last tin and i NEED to order some more.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I can't say whether the Virginias are reds or not. I'll ask Hans.
The blend is sublime. I can't honestly say that I've had nubile nymphs throw themselves at my feet when I opened a tin. But I do know a handful of middle aged dudes with a spare tire or too who swear by the stuff.
-- Pat

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I smoked some of my 10 year old Haddo's as homage to this thread last evening and you are correct, it's delightful. The fig or stewed fruit is ever present and the Virginias have tamed themselves to a non biting, sweet tasting treat. A friend has a swollen 2003 can that I'm going to try and negotiate a deal on. Haddo's is one tobacco I wish I'd've put away in large quanities.

Status
Not open for further replies.