Had a Cutom Pipe Made, Not Happy With the Outcome, Thoughts?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
So I had a custom meer made through meerschaumstore.com, at this point I would not recommend this option from this vecdor. I asked to have a briar pipe of mine replicated into a meer. I went to a local pipe maker to have it measured out to be as exact as possible . Now I understand the exact size and what not might not turn out but when the pipe shape is just off and the pipe is sent to me with noticeable flaws and/damage I question there craftsmanship. The shank appears damaged or something. For $260 I expected a lot better craftsmanship; would be happier if the churchwarden piece fit . Maybe I am being to picky. Definitely would love to hear your thoughts.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I am not sure if I get this but the Meer doesn´t look at all like the briar and none of the stems seem to fit to it. $260.00 is not cheap and one should expect a better quality for it. :cry:

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
The bottom picture shows both pipes. The Meer was suppose to be a replica of the briar. The first picture is some sort of carving error. Within the shank. The shank is detachable and is covered with a silver band. When the shank is taken apart, you discover the band is covering up the flaw. I sent an email and I am waiting to hear back from them.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Not even close, they should of contacted you with either their concerns about the pipe shape if they didn't think it would be possible, or worked with you to find an agreeable solution. They should either offer you a refund or a sizable discount on what you paid as it isn't what you asked for if you're willing to keep it. Customer service can make or break a company, unless you're J.F. Germain.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Exactly why I'm afraid to commission a pipe. I'd rather just pick from existing stock and return it if I don't like it.
If you have a return option, I'd definitely return it.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Yes they were informed to replicate the briar. I even told them I would send it to them but they said there was no need.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I sent them an email with the pictures right before I made this post. So they probably have not had ample amount of time to respond.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
If I found that briar in my local B&M -- and I asked the staff if they had anything like that, but only in Meerschaum -- they would tell me, "We have something similar, but it may not be what you're looking for..."
So, playing devil's advocate, if I commissioned a piece, under the pretense that it would match, per measurement; and I, personally, were known as a stickler regarding such things, then I would speak up on the matter. ... Especially at a certain price point.
Of course, the other side of the coin: When deciding to commission work -- I'm choosing an artist, because I enjoy thier particular work.
But, as the old adage goes: The customer is always right. ... and that churchwarden piece doesn't fit.
*Sidenote: After showing your post (and images) to my sweet wife, she commented, "Hell, no!" And, since she's always right, I would definitely say something to the pipe maker.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I would agree that it is impossible to make an exact but these two pipes are just different. I was also informed that they could do it.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
There was an article on the magazine side of the site a few months ago about the correct way to commission pipe. The argument the author of that piece made was roughly this--that when you attempt to commission something to exact specifications, you're setting the maker up for failure and yourself up for an unsatisfactory pipe. The correct way, from the authors point of view, was to find a maker whose work you like based on their portfolio, and yield the creative control to the artisan.
So I guess what I'm saying is that, by that standard, ya done goofed! :nana:
Of course the maker should have known better than to take the job, especially if they weren't going to accept your offer to send them the original. That was the BIG mistake, in my view. They really had no business "replicating" a pipe of such an unusual shape that they had never handled.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The job didn't get done. I'd go right to the point of this and ask for your money back, and you send back the unsatisfactory work. You could have gotten a fine meerschaum or briar for that money, or a commission from a talented young carver. Nothing about this commissioned work would make me happy. Nadda.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hope you didn't pay total price before seeing and approving the pipe. Anyone, including contractors, retailers wanting full price before delivery and approval are out of luck with me. Always hold at least half back when ordering custom once the price is determined. I'm also a big fan of progress reports and photos.
Works for me for houses, car restorations, boots and etc. No reason it shouldn't work with a reputable pipe carver. And when they give you the old, "I have to purchase material, etc." It's time to look for another contractor.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Elbert,
I understand it will not be made to exact "specifications". To say I goofed is absolutely false.
Customer :Hey can you make me a replica of this pipe?
Carver: Yes I can. Send me pictures and measurements as close as possible.
Customer: Pictures and measurements sent.
Carver: Yes we can make this. Cost $260
Customer: Seems reasonable. Payment sent.
Product sent looks nothing like original pipe. I do appreciate the input though.
I fail to see were I can accept any fault for this.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I did pay upfront for the pipe. They are an approved vendor of this site and I know people who have ordered from them and were quit satisfied so I did nit have any imediate worries. Unfortunately, did not work out for me. I do agree that would have been a better approach. Thanks for the advice warren.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I qualified my statement, and frankly stand by it as written.
You also said yourself they haven't responded to your query, so I'll wait for that before passing judgment on their customer service. Any road, I do hope it works out for you.
Edit; this post sounds much snarkier than I intended--danger of communicating through print, I'm afraid. So I'll reiterate my main point--I really hope this works out to your satisfaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.