PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I am trying to understand what is in Hearth & Home's Blackhouse blend. I just received a tin and the ingredients on the tin are different than what I see online:
Tin shows: Latakia, Virginias, Orientals, Dark-Fired Kentucky, Perique, Black Cavendish
SmokingPipes shows: Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Orientals, Virginia
Tobacco Reviews shows: Black Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
So note that the tin has Perique but not the others, and SP has Burley but not the others (is this the same as "Kentucky"?).
Can someone shed some light on these discrepancies?

Jan 8, 2013
From Pipesandcigars.com.
BlackHouse contains a good amount of Latakia, bright, fragrant, Orientals, sweet Virginias and a touch of dark-fired Kentucky. To help simulate the effects of long-term aging, Russ included a bit of Perique and unflavored black Cavendish.
Russ Ouellete, the guy that created Black House, is the master blender there. Pretty sure their information is correct.
has Burley but not the others (is this the same as "Kentucky"?)
dark fired Kentucky Burley.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Russ Ouellete, the guy that created Black House, is the master blender there. Pretty sure their information is correct.
Yes, that would make sense. Thank you!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The idea for the Balkan Sobranie Throwdown at the 2011 Chicago Show (which is what BlackHouse was created for), was to try to match, as closely as possible, a sample of Balkan Sobranie 759 that had more than two decades of age on it. 759 contained dark-fired Kentucky, so including that was a no-brainer. The problem I faced was that the Virginias had become deeper and sweeter over the years. I had to add something that would mimic that flavor, so I included just a bit of Perique.
Russ

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Thank you for the clarification. I had my first go at it last night and am about to try it again. It's an enjoyable smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.