PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Not many showed much awareness when announced that Alan Holdsworth died recently. I just caught this human interest story that if you don't already know, are a fan or of musical interest, you might find interesting:
Holdsworth Funeral

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for his fans to come forward and see this talented guy honored in a dignified manner. It's a cliche, but the music business is notorious for not necessarily sharing the proceeds with the talent.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Also a shame that a man with his talent couldn't stash a few bucks away.
I'm not familiar with his story exactly, but it's a common theme among talented musicians to wind up penniless.
The music industry is a vicious machine ... far too many talented people get robbed by men whose only talent was writing one-sided contracts and bilking others out of the fruits of their labor.
Sure, there are a lot of musicians who make a nice fat chunk of money and blow it all on drugs, women, cars, or whatever. But they are in the minority for sure. There have been far more musicians who simply never made any real money because they didn't understand business and couldn't afford a team of lawyers to negotiate every contract with the record labels who were constantly squeezing them.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
There is probably a little truth in the fact that some musicians are really in it just for the music, pure and simple, and all they really look for is enough to live on so they can continue to play. They have music in them and they are compelled to play, to perform, to get it out.
Music is a kind of religion, and the pure musician is a little like a pilgrim, finding his way. I don't know too many musicians who became rich and famous and stayed happy--- the money is nice but the fame kind of ruins your life with pressures and lack of privacy. It ruined Jimi Hendrix.
But no one should die penniless, neither. I have Alan on some of his own CD's and with the British group, UK. They were great. Alan was a true seeker. May he find peace.
30 Years

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Such is the plight for many of those considered "musician's musicians". Holdsworth's music was never really mainstream but most guitar players knew his stuff. I happen to own a Carvin Holdsworth model guitar. Lovely instrument that I'll spend some time with this week.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
For me, the beauty of his playing is technical. His intervals are amazing and his legato style is so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.