Grousemoor - you think you are prepared...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I received my tin of Grousemoor and it is such a nice tin (BTW, what do y'all do with the tins, seems like a crime not to repurpose them). Anyway, what the hell? I need to smoke more for a review but I have to say no to lemon grass. More a cross between lemon verbena and citronella and a hundred other things. Also, aromatic makers need to beg SG for their secrets on transferring smell to taste. Review later.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I think it's way over the top when fresh, but not bad after 4 or 5 years aging. Don't worry, that lemon won't fade very quickly :(

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Citronella? Interesting.
I suppose I'll have to try a Lakeland at some point. Looking forward to your review.
I've been saving my tins with plans of making some type of display. Especially with those warning labels coming. SG has some great tin art.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Lakelands have been known to chase wives, girlfriends, buddies, dogs and cats away. Perhaps now we can add stinging insects?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I always get apricot jam from it, and it was also the first aromatic I got that tasted just like it smelled! Crazy thing is it is a 200 year old blend with (correct me if I am wrong) an unchanged recipe...
Isaac

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
I picked up a tin of Grousemoor at the Ottawa Cigar Emporium the last time I was there. Now I'm really curious...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
it is a 200 year old blend with (correct me if I am wrong) an unchanged recipe...
That's not exactly what they say.
On the SmokingPipes site:
"A 200 year old secret makes Samuel Gawith's Grousemoor a mysterious mixture that conjures up visions of the Cumbrian Fells. A fresh and complex flavor from an old recipe, using combinations of Virginias, leaves the smoker with an almost white ash testifying to the purity."
So there's some old secret that makes it a mysterious mixture. Probably something about a torrid love affair between Sam and his valet. Then they say it's just an old recipe, but don't say how old it might be. Maybe 1993. That's old, according to my daughter. And then the white ash/purity nonsense. Pool chlorine tablets burn to a fine white ash, too. So do road flares and chicken bones.
Of course, I wouldn't say all of this if it wasn't a Lakeland.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Its no secret. There is a blend out there that uses juice from a leg of lamb, the flavoring of Grousemoor comes from the Canadian Grouse. They put a couple of those birds in the big squeezer and BAM! Let 'er dry off a little, then put the lid on that baby. Gotta tell you people everything.
happy

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Whatever it is, I like it. In some odd way, it appeals to my clean sense. I can see why folks look at it as a spring/summer smoke. I am doing a comparison of some of the citrus enhanced blends and this is the first one. I have 3 blends to compare so far but still looking. Well, I have 2 and one on the way via a member here. Grousemoor, Planta's California Dream, and Rattray's Exotic Orange. Not sure if the 2 can compete with the Grousemoor. Also, it seems like there would be a good, light Virginia or VaPer that would suit for a spring smoke but I have yet to identify one.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I tried Grousemoor once, and it was definitely a shocker. It was rather pleasant and easy burning, but so absurdly off the beaten path flavor-wise that I haven't purchased it again. There's a tin sitting on the shelf of my B&M, if it's still there I'll pick it up tomorrow just for nostalgia.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I remember my first smoke of it. I don't get lemongrass either but I was blown away by it as there is truly nothing else like it. I also taste some herbs and spices along with a powdery floral essence. I love the stuff! I think I know what my first pipe of the day will be.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I like it too, Hawk. I dried out some of the California Dream and mixed it 5050 with The GM... A nice smoke and I do believe it helps bring out the orange of the CA Dream.
I guess I am also going to have to steal a urinal cake from a gas station for comparison.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I could see that working really well, actually. There is someone else on here that mixes it with Coniston Cut Plug (I think?). I need to play around with mixing it with other baccies as I'm sure the flavor carries over really well. I bet it's a highly complex list of ingredients used in the top dressing.
I'm really glad to hear ya like it! Good stuff!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've debated trying this for a few years but any hint of lakeland and I'm running away. I'll pass on the stinky flowery soap.

Status
Not open for further replies.