PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I'd really like to try this one but it isn't available in the U.S. as far as I can tell.
Does anyone have any they'd care to part with?
While we're at it, I'd also love to try some of the GH twists that aren't readily available here: Sweet Blackcurrant, Plum, or Peach, and the Brown Irish Coffee Caramel.
Anyone ever try these for that matter? What were your thoughts?

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Whatever uncle blackie offers, I'll Double! jk

Love Grousemoor, but had no idea it came in a plug

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Tripled!
The reviews I've read tend to indicate that it's more heavily flavored than the standard tinned version.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I had similar reservations regarding the low nicotine aspect, and that kept me away from it, but it really is delicious.
It could almost be described as an Ennerdale-type flavor, if you emphasized the "fruit" and removed the "floral".

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As someone who appreciates fruit in tobacco, and not at all as a food, this sounds appealing.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Anyone know why this plug is not available in the U.S. while other Samuel Gawith products are? Same for Gawith Hoggarth.
Is there anything preventing a company like Smoking Pipes from acquiring them, besides perhaps a perceived lack of interest? I'm not sure they would fly off the shelves, but from reading this forum it sure seems as though there is sufficient interest in plugs and twists to market them.

64alex

May 10, 2016
Generally these plugs are 250 gm bricks which is quite a lot especially if you want to try them. Maybe if someone is going to take the leadership and there are enough people interested it could be done a group overseas order and then split among us.

For example I would be interested in a 50 gm piece each of Grosemoor, FVP and one of the twist types.

It is quite a lot of work which I cannot do but if someone step in to take the lead...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Is there anything preventing a company like Smoking Pipes from acquiring them, besides perhaps a perceived lack of interest?"
I too am mystified that certain Kendal blends (those of Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth) are not available in the States where as others are. I can only put it down to the fact that the importers are not prepared to take a gamble with a not so well known blend for fear of having it sit in their warehouses gathering dust.
They know that certain blends (Full Virginia Flake, Ennerdale, St. James Flake etc) do and will sell but get the jitters when it comes to the more esoteric blends.
Regards,
Jay.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
@64alex - Smoking Pipes makes the other Kendal blends available in bulk. The ropes, for example, come in 500g bags, but you can purchase as little as 1oz if you wish. I don't see why this would be any different with Grousemoor Plug.
I too would be interested in a group buy scenario, but I am not the guy to organize and implement such a thing.
@jay - re: "esoteric blends" (nice play on words)
Smoking Pipes stocks GH Dark Plug, but it always seems to sell out within a day or two. Every few months it's restocked, and then sold out immediately. I think this could indicate a market for more of these types of blends, especially something like Grousemoor. If they were to acquire stock of this, and announce its availability here on the site, it would be sold out in short order. Maybe it's more "esoteric" than I realize. Perhaps they just don't make enough to go around.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Smoking Pipes makes the other Kendal blends available in bulk. The ropes, for example, come in 500g bags, but you can purchase as little as 1oz if you wish. I don't see why this would be any different with Grousemoor Plug.
I too would be interested in a group buy scenario, but I am not the guy to organize and implement such a thing.]
The problem is with most of the plugs which are not imported at all in the USA, not even the FVP. I am pretty sure they would sell decently well.
No time me too to organize a group buy scenario. As I am also a collector of fountain pens I had a positive experience few years ago participating with a group buy of a special ink from Netherlands. So I know it can work but as said no time to take the lead. Maybe some of our retired fellow could get interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.