PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Let me say right from the beginning that I like Grousemoor. I've been smoking this blend off and on for many years. It is often called a "love it or hate it" mixture so I am in the "love it" camp with no apologies.

It claims to contain only Zimbabwe Virginia that is flue cured; a claim of which I am convinced.

Upon opening the tin you are greeted by the intense aroma of the fabled lemon grass and other botanicals that remain the secret of only one person at Samuel Gawith. This, to me, is the quintessential Lakeland essense that is often discussed on this forum.

Looking at the tobacco in the tin it is almost uniformly a golden yellow with some light to medium brown strands. The ribbon cut is moist, as most SG blends are, but I find that it is fine for me right from the tin. It couls benefit from some brief drying but I don't have the patience for that.

On the charring light the lemon grass flavor and aroma is immediately present and then settles down somewhat. Make no mistake here, the lemon grass is always present throughout the entire smoke.

This is a light blend with little Lady N. It is for this reason that I think this is a wonderful hot weather smoke.

To my taste Grousemoor reminds me of Earl Grey tea. Light, botanically infused, sweet without being cloying. Once lit it doesn't really require any further attention.

Will it ghost a pipe? Probably, but a couple of bowls of my usual latakia blends usually takes care of that and I find that it isn't nearly as bad as blends with deer tongue; which I also enjoy on occasion.

In short, I think of Grousemoor as my iced tea in a bowl. While maybe not an all day blend it's a fine hot weather companion albeit a bit of a strange one.

I did notice that the tin art has changed over the past few years. The colors are more muted than the older tins but the picture still evokes a pastoral feeling that I get while smoking it.

If you are curious and even daring you may find this to be a warm weather alternative to the usual blends.

Dec 24, 2012
More power to you. I tried it but was not a fan. But then, I detest deer tongue as well. Some times great minds think differently.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
+1 on the grousemoor, nice review too - wonder what it tastes like aged? The Lakeland essence might diminish, but the Virginias might bolden?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a tin that is probably close to 2 years old and the aroma is as if it was new. So, for what it's worth Grousemoor retains is alluring aroma. I suppose that's what makes Lakelands special.

One of our legendary moderators, Lawrence, is also a big fan of Grousemoor.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I liked Grousemoor the first time I tried it. Same with some other Lakeland type blends, and Erinmore Flake too. But for some reason, I swing back and forth over the months, really enjoying it one month, and then ignoring it for a couple of months, as it seems to have no appeal to me. But then when I come back to it, I think wow, this is great why haven't I smoked it more? After a few bowls in a week, I'm back to meh, I don't know if it sounds too good now.
Maybe I just need some professional help, or a new pill, er, uh, I mean pipe. :crazy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Under-rated masterpiece. I always have a jar of this blend at the ready and have been enjoying it for at least a year without tiring. In fact I'm enjoying a bowl right now in an MM cob. Dragged up this zombie thread to get it out to some newer forum members. This is a must try blend and like the OP, I'm in the "love it" camp.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Of the topped/cased Lakeland blends, I found the flavoring to be full. I liked it well enough but not enough to buy more. To smoke such blends requires a major shift in what to enjoy, more the dominant flavoring than the tobacco. Most seem to dismiss them all together with highly pejorative terms.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
If you like the ribbon cut version you should try the plug version which is even better. As a matter of fact you should try also the Cannon plug (which as for my understanding is along with Groosemoore a scented version of the Kendall plug) as well as the RB plug (which is the scented version of the FVP).

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@aquadoc

Rattray's Exotic Orange is already on the top of my list if ever available.
@64alex

Thanks for the tip on the Cannon Plug

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I have never tried this blend but I have vowed to try every SG blend...if they ever come back in stock. I have been happy with every SG blend that I have tried so far. This was a nice review on Grousemoor though.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Nice review. If the aroma is your thing, grousemoor is a treat. But you should propably dedicate a pipe to it^^

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Interesting, it is available in my area so I might give it a try, thanks for the review.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a tin waiting for its turn. Nice review. The OP mentions earl grey, which is nice. However I have always thought Orlik Golden Slices taste like earl grey. I like earl grey, but I find OGS bland and boring. Are Grousemoor and OGS similar?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, here's my 2 cents on this:
workman: I haven't smoked Grousemoor in a long time, but seeing this thread revived, might have to get some more. For me OGS and Grousemoor are quite different, and not just in the cut of the tobacco. Grouse moor has a more pronounced flavor that you might call a Lakeland, but compared to many Lakeland blends is quite mild, and not old lady perfume at all.
dottiewarden: If you're having a hard time finding Exotic Orange or whatever they're calling it now, you should try Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru No. 2. It's a long flake virginia that I think it would blend well with Grousemoor as it has a orange citrus topping that is a little milder than Exotic Orange and it should be easier to find.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been told so often that Lakeland aromatics are incarnate ghosts, and designating pipes for an aromatic seems getting away from my preference for non-aromatics and tobacco forward aromatics where any flavoring brings up the tobacco tastes. However, I will say that a Forums member gave me a new tin of Brown Sugar Flake, a non-aro Virginia, and it left a place in my heart for Sam G.'s blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.