Group Size 3 Pipe Seems To Be The Perfect Pipe Size (At Least For Me)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Received a Dunhill straight billiard recently and a Castello kk 65(which seems to be also around size 3), and I am pleasently surprised how great this bowl size is, not too big, not too small.

I had a size 1 dunhill a while ago and usually have group size 4 pipes, which seems to be the standard pipe size nowadays.

P.S. by group sizes I dont mean Dunhill pipes only.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If by “received” you mean got as a gift then I’d happily take whatever size Dunhill or Castillo was offered in that event. ?

I have a few group 2 sized pipes I use for very strong ropes or plugs. Most of the fleet is group 4 or larger. It’s nice to have options.

Reactions: danimalia

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I like XX and XXX sized Ashtons a lot. I have a couple of X Ashtons and, although small, they, too, are very nice. I guess I don't have a preference, but lean towards smaller to medium sized pipes.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yeah, I think that's about my wheelhouse too from what I can tell. I tend to mostly smoke strong flakes, VaPers, and Burleys with 1 or 2 Latakia blends per day. Nice to have some larger chambers for the latter, but I otherwise prefer the more petit-medium sized dimensions for holding and smoking.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I would love to know which pipes and "models " are Group 1 or 2. I inevitably end up purchasing pipes with bowls larger than what I prefer... And since I purchase mostly Estates online, I cannot seem to get this correct.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I would love to know which pipes and "models " are Group 1 or 2. I inevitably end up purchasing pipes with bowls larger than what I prefer... And since I purchase mostly Estates online, I cannot seem to get this correct.

Group 1 and 2 pipes are small pipes. They are for quick smokes. A Group 1 will fit in the palm of my hand. A Group 2 looks a little more standard, but still a small pipe.

Group 3 and 4 pipes are about the “standard” size for most pipes you will buy. What I mean is, if you buy a Savinelli, Peterson, Vauen, etc. they will mostly be about a Group 3 or 4 size. Probably closer to a 4.

A Group 5 or 6 size is a larger, or longer pipe. Not unusually large, but they are bigger than most pipes.

Reactions: aquadoc

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I usually compare the measurments of a pipe (length, chamber depth) with the specs of the coresponding Dunhill pipes, so I can figure aproximately out, what size a pipe is.
Its not exact science of course.

I rarely see modern pipes made in group 1,2 and 3 sizes. Most are group 4 and larger.

Reactions: aquadoc

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
If by “received” you mean got as a gift then I’d happily take whatever size Dunhill or Castillo was offered in that event. ?

I have a few group 2 sized pipes I use for very strong ropes or plugs. Most of the fleet is group 4 or larger. It’s nice to have options.
Haha, no no by received I mead bought.
I was looking for a group 3 Dunhill billiard for a while.
Have a group 4 one as well. Need to figure out if to keep it or sell it. :D

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The conventional wisdom when I came back to the pipe after a long period on cigars was that smaller bowls are best for Virginias, and larger bowls are better for lat blends and aros. I've found that works for me, and since my smoking leans heavily to Virginias and burleys, these days, that's what I am smoking.
Iwan Ries does list the group size on any pipe they sell.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
That's an interesting comment on the type of tobacco and the size of the pipe. I hadn't thought about that. A couple of things that I like about Group 1 and 2 pipes is that they are usually easy on the jaw when clenching. They are light. Here is one of my Ashton X sized pipes on a pouch to see size. This smokes very well, doesn't get particularly hot, and is--to my mind--elegant. Only real issue with it is that my hand gets a few red spots from the stain when I smoke it, but it's quite new, so that will go away over time. 10107

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm groups 5, 6, and Magnum. Varying sizes are great as there is one to fit everyone. I just can't bring myself to ever own another Dunhill even if it was given.

Status
Not open for further replies.