PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So far my Grabow Lark smooth bent is my favorite pipe. I have Petersons, and a Stanwell, but I think the reason I like my Grabow is the small size. Are those considered group 1 size?
It's difficult for me to determine the size of pipes online. What other brands have decent group 1 Pipes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dunhill Groups aren't defined in an engineering way. You sort of learn the sizes from experience. A good example of a Group 1 is the Peterson Belgique. About as big as the average pinky finger and an inch deep, if that helps. Iwan Ries uses Dunhill Group sizes, and I have bought enough pipes from them to get a general idea. I'd estimate that many of the Dr. Grabow pipes are Group 3, or run from 2 to 4. I think the Royaltons are 3 and 4. If you are a technical person, this vagueness can drive you crazy, but if you are an artist or poet type, and go with the flow, you at least have the illusion of knowing what these Groups mean.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have group 1 equivalents by Sasieni and Dunhill. Some of the early KB&B pipes have smallish bowls.
This thread was really useful to me when it popped on the topic. You'll find some good references in here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/group-1-very-small-bowls-what-are-they-for
-- Pat

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Tim west made some small but functional pipes. They were probably a group 1 or maybe a bit smaller. probably about 1/2" wide bowl and 3/4"-1" deep. He usually has a couple for sale at his table at the Columbus pipe show.
I call them after dinner mint pipes because the bowl is just big enough for a 10 minute smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Old Dominion makes an extra small cob pipe with a reed stem, I think it's call the Chesapeake, that is a Group 1. With flake, it gives a good 20 or 30 minute smoke, as would any pipe of similar size perhaps. I smoked it outside the gate at an outdoor concert, and it more than lasted the intermission. It depends a lot on the tobacco. Five Brothers, the very dry burley, would probably give a short smoke, 5 to 7 minutes or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.