Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings guys! Newbie here from SoCal and SoUt depending on the time of the year.
Recently entered the world of Pipes because cigars are just too much to handle. I stepped in pretty heavily, having "Cellared" about 75 different types of tobacco, mostly in tins so far and have purchased several pipes including; Peterson, Dunhill, Castello, and a Bjorn Thurman Freehand LEFT-handed pipe I stumbled across in Slovenia (estate). I sure am having fun! Currently looking for the perfect squat tomato....
Learning that Aromatics are fun for a change-up but I REALLY am liking VaPer's. I only smoke a pipe a day in the evening and it sure helps eliminate all my stress of the day.
Thanks for being here and welcoming us newbies and our stupid questions.
Steve

Reactions: lightmybriar

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome to the site from Knik River, Alaska. I started piping for the same reason. VaPer's are a favorite of mine as well. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I am also a huge fan of the squat tomato shape. I would show you where the perfect one is, but I intend to buy it sometime soon if I can get the seller to reduce the price :)
For now, I'd recommend Castello's shape 26 if you don't already have one. A great little tomato/prince type thing that I love, a great smoker. Don't see a lot of them roll through the US sites, but tabaccheria corti and/or the danish pipe shop usually have a couple, and in most instances for a better price than you'd get stateside anyway, assuming you don't get boned by some sort of outback nazi tax agency, as I've heard tell of happening on occasion recently, though it's never happened to me. See a pic of mine below.
Winslow makes a great thick walled interpretation of the tomato in his Crown line as well if you like a little more of a uniqueness to the shape.
What the hell is a left handed pipe?
castello-26.jpg

castello-26-3.jpg

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Hi and welcome! I came to pipes via cigars also, way back when the “cigar craze” began in the early 90’s. Like you I usually have a bowl at the end of the work day to relax and reflect. Looks like you are of to an impressive start. BTW, Var/per flakes are my favorite also. If you haven’t yet you may consider cellaring a bit of straight Perique to add to some of the straight Virginia flakes and ribbon cuts.

Cheers, Ray

"What the hell is a left handed pipe?"
HA! Just seeing if anyone ACTUALLY reads the body of the messages :) but it DOES fit perfectly in my left hand as the bowl is taller on the left side.
That Castello looks perfect! I will hunt around for one UNLESS you are willing to give up your source for the PERFECT one. You don't really need another pipe.. Your wife told me. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. A couple of my favorites that are readily available are the following.

Capstan Blue Flake

Escudo

Solani 633

Solani 660

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.