PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
Greetings!
I’ve been a lurker on this site in the past, enjoying the articles and browsing forum posts. I finally decided to make an account to join in on the discussion though! I’ve enjoyed smoking a pipe in quiet reflection or while spending time with friends since I was in college. I graduated from Wilkes University in 2012, and have settled down nearby with my girlfriend after finding a teaching job at a cyber charter school! I currently own seven pipes, four of which truly speak to me. I also have about seven blends kicking around my small cellar after we were unfortunately flooded last year and I lost a few. I’m looking forward to growing my cellar again and joining in on the discussions to be had it. I’m also active on the pipe tobacco subreddit!

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
I should probably add that some of m favorite blends are the tried and true 1Q, and shortcut to mushrooms (was sad to see this is no longer available). I’ve been exploring other mild English blends lately and am looking forward to trying my tin of squadron leader.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome from Bethlehem, Pa. Enjoy your time here. If you live near here the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club meets on the 4th Tuesday of every month at the Wooden Match in Bethlehem. Next meeting is tomorrow. Drop by if you can.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Welcome, I also went to Wilkes and started pipe smoking there. Live in NJ now though. I'm sure you know Doc Garr, he is a great person to learn stuff from.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Welcome from Philadelphia. Are you anywhere in this area? Join us monthly for the Christopher Morley Pipe Club. Next meeting is September 19th at the Pen&Pencil Club. PM for more details or check out the club news forum, there is usually an announcement there.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome from Austin, Texas.
I was raised in Baltimore. After 7 years in the army, I returned. One job I had gave me an opportunity to work in Philadelphia for a month, where I got my first tattoo on South Street, then bought a nice fedora style hat.
That night, I ended up at some random college party and woke the next day sleeping in some shrubbery on the corner of 15th and Walnut, smack in to middle of the downtown business district with suits glaring at me with disdain as they passed.
The following year, the same job allowed me to work in Pittsburgh for a month, where I played darts at Niko's Recovery Room every night and learned the joys of pierogies.
Pennsylvania is some of my favorite motorcycle riding territory. I only wish I could get there more than once per decade these days.
jay-roger.jpg

Reactions: uprightman

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That night, I ended up at some random college party and woke the next day sleeping in some shrubbery on the corner of 15th and Walnut, smack in to middle of the downtown business district with suits glaring at me with disdain as they passed.
It's not really a party unless you wake up in some shrubbery. That look of disdain is half jealousy. Every time I see someone sleeping in some shrubbery my first thought is always "ahhh.........to be free....."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN53yX9OnP0

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the kind welcomes!

Welcome, I also went to Wilkes and started pipe smoking there. Live in NJ now though. I'm sure you know Doc Garr, he is a great person to learn stuff from.
I remember Dr. Garr fondly, we spent plenty of evenings chatting with him and enjoying pipes in El Humidor.
Writingaav, I’m about 3 hours from Philly as it stands currently. I generally head towards Wilkes Barre or Hamburg for tobacconists.

Status
Not open for further replies.