PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Hello All,
I'm a fellow pipe smoker for 15 years. I live in Iceland and I read forums mainly for pipe tobacc reviews as it is not possible to buy any decent pipe tobacco in Iceland. So usually I order bigger amounts from abroad.

My favourite pipe tobaccos are Peterson Sherlock Holmes, Peterson Irish Oak, Peterson Old Dublin, Dunhill Night Cap, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Here, in Iceland it is not possible to buy any of these, as we have only Sweet Dublin, Skandinavik and Half & Half pipe tobacco - surprisingly we don't have Borkum Riff among these, it would fit in perfectly into this product range... Previously we had MacBare scottish mixture, but state doesn't import it anymore.

So I would be thankful if you could recommend me decent pipe tobaccos for example from Smoke King webshop.

I have some pipes, not a big collection, but I'm planning to buy some more in the near future.

My favourite pipes I own: Savinelli Ghibli (bent brandy shape), Peterson Donegal Rocky (bent bulldog shape "80s")

The pipes I'm planning to buy this year: Peterson Sherlock Holmes (Watson or Deerstalker, I haven't decided), Savinelli Minuto (poker shape for quick morning smokes before I go to work), Peterson Churchwarden (Green, prince shape) and some Rattray's in the future.

(cheap) Pipes I have but I don't really use them anymore: Toscana (straight billiard shape), Savinelli Capitol (full bent dublin shape), Jean Claude (Billiard churchwarden)

Usually I don't like to use any filters.

Of course, I'm also interested in some other pipe types so I welcome any suggestions.
Have a nice smoke!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Greetings! I’ve had the pleasure of visiting your country, and immediately fell in love with it. The history, the landscape, the people, the light. I didn’t know about the paucity of pipe tobacco, so that’s one strike against you, right up there with fermented shark meat.
For mail-order tobacco, you should check out site sponsor The Danish Pipe Shop. Great selection (the My Own Blend lis not to be missed), great customer service, very knowledgeable staff.
Where in Iceland do you live?

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you for all the warm greetings!

To answer Cosmic's question: It is true that we have somewhat better weather usually than Greenland, but believe me; it is still sh*tty. :lol: Good luck growing tobacco here :D Maximum in greenhouses - now that would be an expenive thing to smoke.

Usually you can smoke pipe only inside because of the constant wind. Another funny fact: You can't buy windcap for pipes in Iceland even though it is one of the windiest countries. If some of you is planning to travel here, keep in mind :wink:

To Woodsroad: I'm happy that you liked it here, indeed the nature is nice here. I live in Kópavogur (capital area). And thanks for the tips!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from California!
Iceland is a mecca for serious photographers, so no surprise Dan had visited.
Re: windcaps- The snap on commercial ones are useless when wind is about 10 knots. Just slap a piece of wood or other inert material over the bowl and you're good to go.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
WELCOME, good sir! Fabulous to have you! You have my complete sympathies on the tobacco situation, for the very little I know they're worth. :( :(
By the way:
nice to get members from places afar,
Don't pay any attention to what Mike says. He's from Canada. -evil grin-
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard and thank you for expanding Forums' global reach. I've heard it said that Iceland is surprisingly green, and Greenland is predominantly ice, but I've been neither place. My wife got routed to Iceland on a flight to Europe but didn't get to see beyond the airport.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Greenland was so named by Eirik Rauda when he discovered it after being banished from Iceland for three years, in AD 982. Some have suggested that he named it so as a marketing strategy to attract settlers to the new colony he founded there. Maybe, he exaggerated a bit, but he couldn't exaggerate so much and risk facing the wrath of the crews of the 14 ships that followed him there. The key fact here is that the climate was warmer then (even warmer than to-day), and thus Greenland was, well, very green (in terms of grass, that is; it was practically treeless). When the Little Ice Age set in, Greenland became less green and icier, and the Norse Greenland settlements perished.

P

pipebuddy

Bienvenue du Québec, Daniel !
I had a look at Smoke King's selection and would recommend, based on your choices of the moment, the following:
- Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. I have purchased several tins and find it to be an excellent tobacco;

- Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, Marlin Flake and Old Gowrie. They are classic virigias with Perique and some contain a bit of Kentucky;

- If you would like to venture into Burleys, Solani's 656 Aged Burley Flake is a marvelous tobacco.
If you would like to have a look at My Smoking Shop UK's website, you might want to try J.F. Germain's Rich Dark Flake, which is an outstanding flake of virginias and Burleys with a malty and molasses topping. As it is a bit seler, you need to have a look on a regular basis and not hesitate when it is available :

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&nm=Germains%20Pipe%20Tobacco&ns=Rich%20Dark%20Flake&man=325&sec=2464
Iceland is a country that my wife and I intend to visit in the near future. Besides the beautiful, breathtaking and unique landscapes, a distinctive way of life and the charming people, we are attracted to all the numerous heitur pottur scattered throughout the island. I am also a huge fan of Arnaldur Indridason's mystery novels featuring Inspector's Erlendur's investigations. :D

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A few pix from my trip to Iceland...

2v2JNBSCyx3L6Bn.jpg
2v2JNBSnTx3L6Bn.jpg

2v2JNBSFVx3L6Bn.jpg
2v2JVSVRnx3L6Bn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.