PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
Greetings! :D

I am a pipe smoking lover from China. Roughly two years ago I ran into a local tobacco shop and I was convinced to take a shot at pipe smoking after talking to the owner of the shop. Oh, forgot to mention that I was living in U.S for almost ten years. When I moved back to China, I, without a doubt, brought my first pipe and a few tins purchased from SP with me.

I've been a 100% "reader" so far and it's time to write my first topic to say hi to everyone! Looking forward to all the pipe smoking discussions.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum!
I've read that pipe smoking is really picking up steam in China. Nothing first hand from me, but apparently a lot of good tins and pipes find their way over there. Do you see a lot of fellow pipe smokers there?

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! Would enjoy knowing more about the pipe smoking community and availability of various tobaccos in your area.
What area of China do you live?

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
Thank you all for your warm welcome.
@Mike, thank you!

Yep, as far as I can tell, the pipe smoking community is growing rapidly. Fortunately, it didn't take too long for me to find out that a few of old friends from high school are piping fans as well. The sad part is, I don't think any of those well-known pipe tobacco have local official distributor. Purchasing on SP and oversee shipping is Ok, but you might get charged up to 60% tax on top of it. Imaging that you have one of your favorite for $12 a tin in your cart but end up with paying ~$20 :cry: Hence I usually do that when there is a huge sale to compensate the potential extra tariff. And I don't think we have local pipe tobacco brand available.

Pipes, on the other hand, do not have that much of concerns as purchasing pipe tobacco overseas and plug, local pipe makers are doing pretty good these days.
@Captain, 你好,船长!
@techie, howdy!

The pipe smoking community is definitely growing fast. I, myself, have already convinced two of my buddies into pipe smoking and quitting smoking cigarette(darn right, I am selling the "no inhale, better for health" story :lol: ). In general, people just have a little bit extra in their pocket and is able to afford such kinda fun.

I was born and raised in a city named Suzhou, which is about one hour drive away from Shanghai, which is truly the most modern city in China. All of you fellas should come and visit if you can!

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
@Paul. There are tons of domestic cigarettes brands available here, with wide range of pricing. The most common ones are from $2 - $15. Soft Zhonghua, as an example, is roughly around $10(disclaimer, price might vary due to different area of China), and pretty popular and decent. Panda cigarettes, as one of the the high-end, can cost you more than $100 per pack.

In general, cigarettes smoking is the most common way that people in China consume tobacco. And it plays an essential role in daily social life.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.