PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Minnesota is having quite a heat wave for this time of year. Yesterday, I took advantage of the 50º-plus weather by smoking two different pipes - back to back - with two different tobaccos. In my Peterson, I smoked a full bowl of Triple Play. Following that, I smoked a full bowl of Black Frigate in a beautiful pipe that was gifted to me by shantiques.
When I finished my smoking, which took about two hours, I was feeling sick. I guess nauseated is the correct term. I almost "spilled my cookies" several times yesterday afternoon and evening, but never quite lost it, thank goodness. I didn't even eat supper.
The feeling I have this morning is that I never want to smoke Triple Play or Black Frigate again as they may just conjure up this nauseated feeling again. It's kinda like the time when I was 18 and got really, really drunk on Southern Comfort...so drunk, I passed out. To this day, I cannot tolerate even the smell of that liquor.
I guess I'll cellar the two plugs for a few years and maybe try them again someday....separately!
Has anyone else gotten sick by smoking too much tobacco at one time? I've been an import cigar smoker for years, so it's not like I'm not used to smoking.
I've heard of parents who have caught their son smoking cigarettes. They've punished their son by making him smoke cigarettes continuously until he got sick. Supposedly, this "cures" the kid of wanting to ever smoke again. Is this what I did?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've been getting the same feeling recently but only from Latakia blends. So much so that I'm starting to be afraid that I've developed some sort of allergy? I don't know. I know the feeling you describe is what a nicotine overdose feels like. Were you possibly smoking on an empty stomach? That'll do it real quick too. So many variables, that's the problem. I would say put them away for a while, and hopefully your aversion to them will wane with time.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I seemingly make myself feel sick at least once a week. I've not ever attributed it to a blend, but rather just nicotine and my lack of respect for the amount in certain blends. My cadence is normally faster in the mornings on the way to work than in the evenings after I gotten home, but I didn't think about this a couple weeks back on the way to work smoking away on a bowl of War Horse. I struggled through that entire day and then went home and took a nap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think anyone can overdo at any time. Sometimes, as in your case maybe, it's just enjoying yourself so much you don't moderate your pace or "dose." Others are pushing to stand up to really strong tobacco and just miss their guess on their own limits. I've done a little of each, but never to the extent of putting myself off a blend. I definitely walked into a door with Nightcap -- big pipe, fast pace, enthusiastic approach. Luckily it was late in the evening, so I staggered off to bed and all was well. I still enjoy Nightcap. Usually, with a strong blend, I'll take it slow, a half bowl, or a small pipe, or I'll smoke it in increments at first to see how it settles. Go for the pleasure and take measures to avoid the discomfort and "hangover," is my approach. Triple Play is a fine blend. Come back to it after a few months and smoke it gently; you'll really like it, believe me. Black Frigate's good too; I don't even experience that is particularly strong, just flavorful.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm not surprised that you got a little (or maybe a lot) queasy, Triple Play has a respectable amount of nicotine and Black Frigate is about medium, so the combination of the two is quite a bit of nicotine for your body to process.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yep. 1792 Flake in big-bowled Randy Wiley. That was nearly 5 years ago and I haven't smoked it since. However, I do like 1792 and I'll probably try it again sometime.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It is all about recognizing the early symptoms of too much nicotine in your system and backing off or taking a break. Pretty much the same thing as drinking alcohol. Drink too fast and you can get fairly toasted before you know it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Not that I relish feeling nauseous but I wish I could find a blend that would give me even a little nic buzz. I'm thinking on my next order to pick up an ounce of Gawith Brown Sliced (the pre-cut version of Happy Bogey) as it's reputed to be a monster nic bomb.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I've felt the nic before with a pipe but nothing like my first dip of Copenhagen fine cut my freshman year of high school. Unfortunately, it lead to 25 years of being a slave to vitamin N.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
For me, Escudo can sneak up on me and put me in my place. Sometimes things can taste so good and you just dont really know until its too late. Two years ago I smoked a Montecristo #2 down to the nub. It was my birthday and I was having fun with my friends. Boy did I get humbled. I havnt had the spins like that in ages.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shutterbugg, I think any of the ropes from either of the two Kendal houses are pretty high in the nicotine department. Happy Brown Bogie most certainly is. I ended up cutting my (previously chopped up) Brown Bogie with the much milder and more forgiving Curly Cut!
That way I kept the distinct flavour of BB whilst being able to smoke a whole bowl without keeling over.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just keep at it! I almost never smoke one pipe by itself and I usually have two to three pipes going at once. The contrast of flavors allows me to reach that perfect smoke almost every time, the flavors POP when you switch over to the next blend and once I discovered this method, the one pipe at a time method just didn't work for me anymore... why have one pipe when ya can have two? You will acclimate to the nicotine. If that is a problem for ya though, just choose your blends wisely.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've felt the nic before with a pipe but nothing like my first dip of Copenhagen fine cut my freshman year of high school. Unfortunately, it lead to 25 years of being a slave to vitamin N.
Haha... That's basically the same thing that happened to me and I'm still trying to quite this damn dipping addiction. I prefer the pipe but I'm addicted to dip.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Fortunately I find myself hiccuping a couple of times when I approach too much. Whenever I get a hiccup with a pipe, I know it is time to slow down or come back. I don't know if everyone else has a warning sign, but this has helped me tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.