PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtank78

Lurker
Aug 19, 2019
hey everyone im looking for a tobacco with great room note, and a mild flavor. I know about 1q so im looking for some

other suggestions, Im looking to make a smoking room/ man cave in the spare room in my house and want to convince the

wife that pipe smoke can smell great.
thank you so much

jtank78

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-tobacco-locator.cfm?roomnote=1&displayNum=72&strength=2&sortOpt=default&page=1
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-tobacco-locator.cfm?displayNum=72&strength=2&sortOpt=default&roomnote=1&page=2

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As I've heard several suggest over the last few years, try taking your wife to the tobacco shop with you.
Let her smell the bulk jars and select a few for you to try, based on her sniffer.
Make her feel more involved and included. One is less likely to dislike whet they helped to choose.
That's all I got. I don't know smack about room notes. I never smell them. Good luck! :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If you like 1Q, then you should definitely check out the blend Molto Dolce by Sutliff. It has a similar flavor profile to 1Q (mostly vanilla) and is a very good aromatic tobacco. Where 1Q is available in bulk, Molto Dolce only comes in 1.75g tins, at least as far as I've seen. I think of Molto Dolce as the premium 1Q.
Autumn evening is definitely up there.
Autumn Evening is a great blend as well. It's basically a Virginia tobacco with some maple sugar type topping. With most aromatics, the flavoring dominates the tobacco. Not so with Autumn Evening. The tobacco flavor and the maple and other toppings are evenly balanced. On the whole, the room note smells like pancakes with maple syrup.
As I've heard several suggest over the last few years, try taking your wife to the tobacco shop with you.
Can't go wrong with this recommendation :puffy:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Harder to find nowadays, but Nording Hunter's Blend Labrador might be the best room note I've ever smelled. There is a local shop blend called Stoney's Blend by G and P Tobaccos that is amazing as well, but, yeah, local....
Easy to find? Boswell's Piper's Pleasure is fantastic, as is their Raspberry Cream, Scotty's Trout Stream from Pipes and Cigars, CAO Eileen's dream and moontrance have great room notes as well. I"m also a sucker for Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream, but my wife/friend's have not confirmed that that one has a good room note for the non-piper, haha.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Easy to find? Boswell's Piper's Pleasure is fantastic, as is their Raspberry Cream
+1 for Boswell. All of their blends I've tried are excellent. For an aromatic with a great room note, Boswell Christmas Cookie and Boswell Cupcake are excellent. I especially liked their Northwoods blend, though I'm not sure the room note is quite what you're looking for since it's a more "tobacco-forward" blend and less aromatic both in flavor and room note.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
and +1 for northwoods! Probably not what the OP is looking for in a room note, but an excellent english blend. Probably one of the best tin notes I've ever smelled. Great tobacco.
The man makes a fine pipe as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aromatics pretty much rule the room note category. I want some tobacco with my flavoring, so look for tobacco forward blends in aromatics. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is one good one, burley base with Virginia as a condiment and three liqueurs for flavoring. If you just want fragrance, Molto Dolce is useful.

I think that we bestow too much praise on aromatics for room note aromas that actually don't exist... or they may smell good for a fleeting minute, but then when you leave the room and return a few hours later the smell turns to crap. I am not sure why, but I have rarely ever smelled a room where an aromatic was smoked that smelled good. The smell seems to turn to crap with time. My wife prefers straight Virginia aromas for the long haul.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Here's a few that I enjoy and get no complaints from the wife:
Sutliff Cream Brulee

Cult Blood Red Moon

Scotty's Butternut Burley
The below blends are not wife approved, but I get plenty of positive comments from everyone else:
MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut

C&D's Autumn Evening

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Nording Hunter's Blend Labrador might be the best room note I've ever smelled
AK hit the target on that one. Labrador (*&* its sister Hunter Retriever) are fabulous, although pricey nowadays because, well McClelland. :( Ray's 100% on Blood Red Moon too; a real winner there *&* it tastes good too.
Bill

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
+1 for Autumn Evening, which smells wonderful, and has a very mild maple/red VA flavor profile. It has a bit more nicotine than most American aromatics, which may be good or bad for you, but I think it's a nice blend.
Having your wife go with you to the shop is a nice suggestion. Have her pick out some of the ones she thinks smell the best, and then completely disregard everything she said and buy tin after tin of musty, funky ass Balkan blends. :lol: No surprise I'm not married, eh.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I get an, "Oh, that smells good," it is always an aromatic. Non-aromatics are well-tolerated usually, but for praise it's aromatics, for me anyway. Someone else's wife totally hates nearly any blend with Latakia. Of course, personally, I can't even "get" the bad smell of Lat. It's almost a neutral smell to me. Cigars can get a little smelly, but interestingly, cigar leaf smoked in a pipe does not, to me. A lot of this is individual and subjective. Probably any indoor room exposed to continual pipe smoke will get stale, simply because that's not how most rooms smell. Smokers and non-smokers have completely different reactions. Sometimes smokers who have quit like a little second hand exposure as a form of nostalgia. It brings back memories of days gone by. Someone else's pipe smoking might get to me, just because it's not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.