PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We know the 'Great Powers' in the pipe producing world; England, France, Denmark, etc. But what pipe do you have in your rotation that is just stellar, but comes from a very non traditional place?
Like a great looking, smoking pipe from Chile for example. (No offense to Chileans, picked at random!)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
True Brian, it is not an exhaustive list.
I didn't mean to divert, but I thought it was worth the comment because you could say that Turkey is the ultimate great power in the pipe world since they essentially have a monopoly on meers (unfortunately). It would be interesting to see what carvers from around the world would produce with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two that come to mind, my Kemberling from Austria, a smooth bent Rhodesian, and an Amadeus from Greece, a smooth straight pot.

Reactions: Scottmi

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm ... come to think of it, I have no single pipe that is not made in a traditional pipe making location. I am fixing to buy a pipe made in Hungary next month. As I am taking my parents to Budapest, on my way back a 30 km detour will lead me to the Szabo Pipe factory in Hungary. :puffpipe:

Reactions: Scottmi

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't own one, but apparently there's a fair amount of pipe production in the Czech Republic. My college roommate studied abroad there, and he came back with a couple decent-looking pieces.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
My Andrea Bauer Meerschaum from Austria, a Tom Richard Morta from Germany, from Africa maker Jan Pietenpaw.

banjo

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
These two Asian beauties. One Chinese and the other South Korean. Both good smokers with the Kim edging out the Zhiputang due to a more open draw.
Kim
Screenshot_20181229-002958.png

Zhiputang
15411342956705509420873945779306.png

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I have 4 amazing pipes from Daniel Mustran of ND Pipes in Croatia, all are excellent smokers! He is an Artist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Germany has always been a pipe making country, but I have a Thompson Cigar house pipe stamped West Germany, which is kind of notable. It's a freehand given to me by a friend. It had a P-lip style stem that oxidized despite frequent polishing, so I had it replaced with a fishtail tortoise shell acrylic stem, and now it is an excellent pipe. An artisan can make a pipe in any country, so those tend to be less nation-specific, whereas I think of factory pipes as being more representative of a place. But this is not always true; some artisans are highly steeped in the culture and do represent that country.

Status
Not open for further replies.