Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Well known high-grade pipe collector and author of several pipe books, Rick Newcombe, paid a visit to London and other parts of England just last month, and provides PipesMagazine.com with a fantastic new article. He spent considerable time with legendary pipe maker Ken Barnes, and it seems Ken is missing being in the business after a 25-year absence.
Will he come back? We don't know. Either way, there are some great photos, conversations, and history of Charatan and Upshall Pipes in this extensive piece - Charatan, Upshall and Ken Barnes.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Outstanding!It is a treat to read about Ken, especially after his contributions on here the past several months. Could it be possible that Rick Newcombe followed this up with a visit with Barry Jones? Probably too much to hope for.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That was a great article and I hope that Ken gets back to making pipes or at least working with someone to hone in on some good grain. He just strikes me as an absolute class act.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Great stuff from Rick, as always.
No re-hashing tired subjects from him, OR secondhand knowledge.
If the ASJA awards had a PipeWorld reporting category, he'd win it every year. :D

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am wondering how Americans pronounce the word ‘Charitable’? Is it pronounced ‘Sharitable’ or ‘Charitable’? If it is pronounced Sharitable, it may be a general pronunciation issue.
He should have used the word "chart."

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I am really touched by the feedback that I am reading. I met up with Barry Jones two weeks ago with other long lost friends Pete Siegel and his wife Debbie. This was such an emotional time, all in one week. The four of us talked for about 4 hours on the times we had and it seemed to me that the passion for pipes was still universal.

I particularly like S.S. Jones's link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8. Changes by David Bowie is one of my favorite songs and was a true favorite of my late father!

Thank you.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's great to hear, Ken. It's been a real pleasure having you on these forums lately -- I've owned and enjoyed a couple of Upshall/Tilshead pipes over the years, but I appreciate the brand all the more having learned more about its origins and the successes it achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.