Great Cuts Start Here

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member
Feb 27, 2013
There's a pair of brothers who frequent our local Farmers Market and come from Nottingham NH. They make custom knives, cutting boards and other wooden products.
I stopped by their tent this morning and saw the real craftsmanship of their knives up close and personal and this beautiful Damascus Boning Knife followed me home. Here are the specs:

Hand Forged Colin MacCrea 15n20 blade with hamon line

Bloodwood Saya for blade protection

Handle: Desert Ironwood

Pins: Copper Mosaic 1/4 inch

Spacer Material: white g10

Bolster: Hand Poured pewter

banjo

Their website is http://www.JensenBrothersCusoms.com

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member
Feb 27, 2013
Yeah I was too late when I came back to fix it! :( My custom Chefs knife was made by west coast Bladesmith Michael Rader he was chosen as Bladesmith of the year when I had received it, fantastic and extremely functional Damascus Blade.

Then I had a French style knife made by knife maker Ray Banks which is Damascus as well.

I also picked an early Sabatier for $1 at the thrift shop.

My bread knife is a Shun Classic Damascus Bread Knife.

For breaking things down and heavy duty chopping is this Randall Chefs Knife.

Plus I've picked up a few Wüsthof and Henckels slicing and paring knives at local yard sales.

banjo

deathmetal

Preferred Member
Jul 21, 2015
I love a good knife. For those of us who spend a lot of time in the kitchen, these are among our most essential tools. They are also handy for dismembering our enemies, which dovetails with cooking if one is inclined to make chili.

deathmetal

Preferred Member
Jul 21, 2015
As the saying goes, "It's all fun and games until the helicopter discovers the extensively decomposed corpse!"

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Love them, great post! I dabbled in making knives twenty years or so ago. I don’t have but a couple around somewhere. I have blanks and a pattern for making a folder somewhere in my studio that I need to get made. But, Michael Mara of Radharc Knives has made some awesome knives that I love. This is one of his works.

thomasw

Preferred Member
Dec 5, 2016
Awesome thread. I like functional equipment, there is a beauty to it. Killer knives...

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member
Jan 8, 2013
I'm a butcher, so and knives are an every day part of my life so I'm loving these photos. Unfortunately I could never use any of these at work, because wooden handles aren't allowed by the health department in Texas. I would like to someday have a nice set of custom made knives though.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
There's alot of skill that goes into knife making to be sure. I don't think I could cut it.
:roll:

dlcorn

Oct 24, 2017
I'm a meat cutter/cook. I was used to victronox and finally upgraded to Shun. Oh man. While I love using victronox in the meat room, my shun knives were amazing in the kitchen. I've always wondered about custom mades. No one I've worked with went that route, but they are always beautiful.