PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
So I thought my two Aunts might have my grandfathers old pipes or at least know where they are. They both replied to my request saying they think my dad has them. Well here's my problem. Although I am 40 years old I am still a daddy's girl. (5 girls and 2 boys in my family and all of us girls are daddys girls :D) I have yet to tell him I even smoke a pipe therefore I don't really know how to approach him to ask for them. Why havent I told him? Well although I am 40 I still try very hard to please my dad. We have never discussed the pipes so I dont know if there is a sentimental value for my Dad when it comes to them. I know, I know, I'm a grown woman but he wasnt too happy with me a few years back when I told him I'd bought my first motorcycle a Suzuki Katana600. I didnt dare tell him when I sold it and bought a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Am I being too soft?

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Honesty is always best. Your dad might not like your choice of smoking pipes but he should at least respect you for telling him the truth. If your dad might smoke perhaps telling him about you and pipes might allow you both to connect and then share your grandfather's pipes if your dad has them.
I hope all works out well for you.
Doug

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe start a casual conversation about smoking. Then when the time is right, ask about the pipes. Tell him it would mean a lot to be able to put those pipes to use again and enjoy them.

elwin

Lurker
May 3, 2012
Just be honest with your dad.

In the long run, it's easier to sit down with him and honestly explain why.
You may be daddy's girl, but I think if you treat YOURSELF like an adult, he will too.

Most children are so worried about disappointing their parents that they tend to forget how much their parents love them in the first place...

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks Elwin, Guitarguy, and Flmason. You are right honesty is the best way to deal with this. He doesnt smoke but he may actually like the idea of the pipes being used again. I'll call him tomorrow. He lives in Michigan and I'm in virginia so dropping by isnt an option. I appreciate your input. :wink:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Just so you know , no BS, parents have radar for that, he may be tickled to death you want them, when my daughter was crew chief on a gun ship raised hell with her , hear me out on this ,told her that was no place for a women, Seceretly my chest was busting with pride, You go Girl get them pipes. The old cajun

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Just go up to Michigan, walk through his front door smoking a danish freehand, and tell him you want papaws pipes. Just kiddin...welcome to the craziness & happy pipe smoking :wink:

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
just start the conversation with your memories of your granddad smoking. I wish you luck im fighting with my ex to get my dads pipes from her.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
You ride a Busa and you smoke a pipe. I think you might be my dream girl! :) To bad I'm married. :crying:
Good luck with getting your Grandad's pipes. There is something really special about using something from your personal history that connects you to your family. I've got some Zippo lighters that belonged to my grandfather, one of which he carried in WWII, and they are amoung my favourite things. They don't have much real world value but to me they are priceless.

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
its a long story they were put in to her storage during a move and now i'm fighting to get them back.

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
So it's been a crazy week with me doing many interviews (I'm looking for a job!!) and Daddy's been busy as hell. He has a roller skating rink in MI. So we set aside some time to talk tomorrow when we both will be less busy. VAboatbuilder good luck man! I hope she coughs them up.

Swhipple, thanks hun, I'm married too 18years. Maybe in our next life eh!

Numbersix, thanks

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Well Chakara, I talked to my dad and turns out he doesnt have them. When they took care of my Grandfathers things after he passed away they were no where in the house. My dad thinks maybe he got rid of them when he stopped smoking about a year before he passed away :cry:

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
+1

2 week cliffhanger.
Can't wait for the update on this story...
there is no comparing pipe smoking to riding a bike.

Non bike riders think we have a death wish........
Open and Honest and you'll be great, sounds like you have your head screwed on pretty well.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.