PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Ever heard of the ones driving into a river following Google maps?
Mine constantly tells me to turn left into the River where a car ferry was located twenty years ago, it was replaced by a bridge a short distance away. I use my GPS often but always like to refer to a paper map for a larger overview.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I was driving to a meeting a few weeks ago in one of the more remote parts of my county, and unbeknownst to me, the main road that I always use to get there was closed for construction, so I used Google maps to find a new route. Ten minutes later, I was driving my F-150 across a creek!
The new route had taken me down a gravel road that had a "low water" creek crossing of the sort that farmers use when driving their tractors across creeks that run between fields. The gravel road just ends at the creek, and starts again at the other side. Luckily, I was in my truck rather than a car, or I wouldn't have been able to make it. I made it to the meeting on time.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
If you live in New Jersey, where highway signs seems to be designed to get you lost, having Apple and/or Google maps on one's phone is a must.
Now, if someone would only invent an app that eliminates traffic jams at the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels and the George Washington Bridge.

Whether maps or apps, I just wish that there was an easier way to navigate across Georgia without having to go through Atlanta. I would rather have a kidney gnawed out by badgers than have to drive through Atlanta. I can't even adequately emphasize enough hatred for THAT city's traffic issues.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Cosmic, I concur. You should never have to live in that traffic hell hole. I am so glad that I can now count the cars I pass on one hand when driving around the village.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The reason you Southern Gents think Atlanta is so bad is because you apparently haven't driven much in places like Chicago or Detroit during rush hour. Or had to get to the airport in LA in 2 hours when you're 30 mile away in what seems like 2 dozens lanes of traffic with motorcycles zipping by your left and right. I have to go through Atlanta 3 or 4 times per year and I work very, very hard to do so at a some time other than rush hour. Other than rush hour, I haven't had much of a problem.

I lived for two years in Chicago and one summer in LA, and I still think Atlanta is a disaster. In my last trip to NC last weekend, we had to endure eight lanes of traffic getting reduced to one lane going through downtown, and then back up to eight lanes again. The brain-dead morons that run the GDOT must sniff glue before making any big decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.