PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Well, it happened, I believe my 17th or 18th order since starting up this hobby in February.
7.5 OZ ordered, just under $20 CAN, $12 shipping.
Yep, you guessed it, the ole Duty Dog bit me, $96 extra charges in Duty. Needless to say, the Post Office is now one proud owner of 7.5 OZ of Aromatic Pipe Tobacco
Grrrrrr

Dec 24, 2012
That sucks Salmon. I have gotten hit about 1% of the time, though never quite that bad. Ouch. I have always just paid the tax and figured amortized over my total buying it is still pretty cheap. I wonder what happens if you refuse to pay. Do they just send it back to the vendor?

I'm seeing a road trip to Canada in my future, in a van made of flakes, ha ha!

NC39018lg.jpg

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I am assuming that it gets tossed in garbage or is opened and then the boys split it up.
I would pay duty of around $40 to $50, but $96 is just looney.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Cosmic it is just nuts what the bleeding heart liberals have done to this country. Pack of smokes is now $11 a pack at corner stores or more. 50 gram of pipe tobacco can run you over $40 tax in. 24 of beer in my province costs a lil over $40.

Health care my ass, if I smoke I die earlier.
Grrr Grrr Grrr

Dec 24, 2012
$40 to $50 is usually what I have gotten nailed with on that amount - and many times less (sometimes they have just dinged me for HST and not the tobacco tax). Once though I was hit with $150 on 2 8 oz bags of Stonehaven. If it had been anything else I would have told them to keep it.

Dec 24, 2012
I hear you on the taxes, though I find the income tax situation even more intolerable. To get my personal income tax rate down to an acceptable level if I have had to employ a complicated structure using a corporation and a couple of Alberta resident trusts. Saves me a bundle, but why should I have to go to all that trouble.

Dec 24, 2012
purple, what they charge for the same amount is all over the map, and in my experience, they usually charge too little more than they charge too much. I think it is just that the customs guys have no idea what they are doing.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Man I am so ticked, Bald Headed Sweet Baby Jesus I could strangle some politician right about now.
I incorporated years ago, and its now my retirement income. Love how this country leaves loop holes open like that.
I guess the are pissed I don't pay CPP/EI lol, gotta love dividend income only.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have returned packages to customs in the past when I felt I was charges too much money. They have never hesitated to correct any mistakes. Obviously you still get stuck having to pay some duty, but you at least get the tobacco.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I refused to pay, not sure what happens now, but I believe I wont get it back again. If I bought 200 grams of pipe tobacco at my local B&M it would be around $140. So I don't believe I have a leg to stand on.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Most companies will take it back and refund your money and charge you a restocking fee.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Total order was $24 , 7.5 oz tobacco, 4 packs pipe cleaners, 1 wind cover. Plus the $12 shipping. Cover charge should just about wrap up what I could expect back lol.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My tobacconist charges $1 per gram. So your package, even after being charged duty, would have still be less than my local supplier haha. I swear Alberta makes up for the no PST in the tobacco taxes alone.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Total order was $24 , 7.5 oz tobacco, 4 packs pipe cleaners, 1 wind cover. Plus the $12 shipping. Cover charge should just about wrap up what I could expect back lol.
Yeah I guess just cut your losses, the 12$ return shipping is half your order, I guess if it was in the 100$ or over range it would make more sense and then you could at least get a pipe or something

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yep. This is what happens when people who have never had a real job who are financed by special interests get elected to public office!

Status
Not open for further replies.