Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Salmon:

If you dollar cost average the total amount of what you have spent so far, it still does work out cheaper than buying in Canada. I don't think there's a 'crack-down' of late (at least not on the packages I have gotten), so you can chalk that duty ding as a part of doing business/smoking a pipe in Canada...either that or head on over to the Reservation for some cheaper tobacco. For what it's worth, I'm having the same sort of luck as Peck does, my tobacco is coming through without duty, however my Pipes are a different story...
Shutterbug

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Yeah, I agree its cheaper, but I took pipe smoking up because of the cash savings versus smoking cigs or smoking a pipe buying baccy at a local B&M. Pipe smoking for me at Canadian pricing would be out of reach. I sure hope I don't get nailed again, god forbid, I just might have to quit smoking all together

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It would probably be cheaper if one of us in ON ordered what you want and ship it you, lol

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Provided that person didn't also have duty/taxes/freight/left ear/1st born child and god knows whatever else this great country deems fit to tax.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like just order what you want, but reject it if the customs is too high, and order again. It sounds like

a lottery, hit and miss. When I bought Cuban cigars in Toronto many moons ago, I could get them at not-so-bad

prices. I'm sure the taxes have gone up, but can you buy tins or bulk pipe tobacco at tolerable prices, or is it all

taxed to the teeth? In the U.S. right now, I can get many tins for $8 to $16, add shipping if it's online. I'm a moderate

smoker, so I feel pretty well stocked, but I suppose I'd take more days off piping if it doubled in price. If I didn't buy

tobacco at all, I could probably dawdle along for three or four years, or maybe five or six if I really made it only a special

occasion treat. Grumble, grumble.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Just received my 8oz order late last week and no issues. One suggestion is to have the packages shipped to a business if you can. I work in a direct marketing firm and we receive/ship packages daily from all the major couriers and Canada Post. I honestly think it makes a difference, that and you never have to go to the post office to get your packages as Canada Post is notorious for their carriers just placing the sticker on the door with no attempt to deliver the parcel.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
And I'll second Peck's notion of leaving the doors unlocked. As for the health care comment, while far from perfect in Canada, my wife has been in the hospital for 2 1/2 years and no money has come out of my pocket for that. Care costs currently are in the millions. So paying $30 for a tin of tobacco, while shitty compared to US prices, are more than offset.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's more then B&M prices here.
Really, Salmon? Interesting. Here's a fun thread in which we, Canadians, whine about how much we pay for tobacco on the rare occasion we don't buy online: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/27-for-a-50g-pouch-of-pipe-tobacco-ontariocanada
One thing we can all be happy about, at least we don't live in Alberta. Love the mountains, and the steaks, and the lack of sales-tax. But the 'baccy taxes are wacky!
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pruss, that's high! That's twice the average cost here, or more. It certainly brings you to a

decision on how often to smoke and how much to spend. Yet Canada is well represented on

Forums, and I don't think all the Canadian pipe smokers are extra well-off. Dedicated, I think.

Dec 24, 2012
One thing we can all be happy about, at least we don't live in Alberta. Love the mountains, and the steaks, and the lack of sales-tax. But the 'baccy taxes are wacky!
Alberta does have outrageous taxes on tobacco and booze,no question, but I still wouldn't mind living there for the much lower income taxes. Every year I do the math on how much less tax I would pay if I lived in Alberta, and I weep.

Dec 24, 2012
pruss, that's high! That's twice the average cost here, or more. It certainly brings you to a

decision on how often to smoke and how much to spend. Yet Canada is well represented on

Forums, and I don't think all the Canadian pipe smokers are extra well-off. Dedicated, I think.
Few buy from a B&M. I would only buy from a B&M here on occasion just to support them, not because I have to. Luckily there are no B&Ms where I live.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Alberta does have outrageous taxes on tobacco and booze,no question, but I still wouldn't mind living there for the much lower income taxes. Every year I do the math on how much less tax I would pay if I lived in Alberta, and I weep.
I'm with you, Peck. That was tongue-in-cheek. I think we'd (Robyn and me, not you and me) be really happy in Alberta, somewhere on the front range within 100 miles of Calgary would be great.
-- Pat

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Last I checked American buck worth more then ours lol
Just placed an order for 12 oz from rich, let's see how that goes...

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Every year I do the math on how much less tax I would pay if I lived in Alberta, and I weep.
the upcoming provincial elections will be a deciding factor for me. The economy in Ontario especially outside the GTA is absolutely dreadful. If things do not turn around I will go west tobacco Tax or not.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I just got nailed for the first time on a 4n order. 16oz and I was dinged for $95, which about doubled my cost. I have another order en route with the same quantity, so I'm a touch nervous. It's still cheaper than if I bought that quantity here, but not by nearly as much. If I get hit twice in a row, then I am going to place an order with just cleaners, pipe tools and other accessories and see if they open the box. If they open that one, then I know they've either got the seller or me flagged, or they're checking more meticulously. Either way, I'll have to change the way I order, which is too bad. Still, with 20kg in the cellar, I'm in half-decent shape, I guess, though my goal was to get up to 25kg and then just do "maintenance" orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.