PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
On another site, a guy has a packaged roll, or 4 50gm tins of Balkan Sobranie for sale. Says he was nearing offer of $300.00 for it, but would sell it for $250.00. I commented that I thought it was ridiculous price and I thought sites were not here for "Making money". Administrator sent me private message saying my post is deleted and shouldn't question how much people ask for stuff. This guy was asking 5x the value of his baccy. I figure people(especially new members), need to know the actual price before they buy.
On a side note, I listed 4 bags of Penzance for $600.00. I figure if 200g of Balkan is worth $250.00, then 32oz of Penzance should be worth $600.00. hahahahhahahaha
I expect I will be deleted from that site after my post is read.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First of all, I think it is absolutely OK to question outrageous pricing. BS was a good blend but not worth that kind of money given today's superior blends on the market. Gwnclan in right about this time of year bringing the greed out in people. If someone actually buys it then good for them but I think there are better ways to spend that kind of money.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Sad thing is, if its the old school Sobranie, he will probably get it. That stuff has been getting stupid prices. A fella on eBay sold an 8 oz tin of 759 and it went for over $800 bucks. Even the pouches, which would certainly be dried out, get silly amounts cash for it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Haha fisher. Looks like you are definitely testing the waters. It will be interesting to see of that admin will hold a single standard for all the members. But if they don't just think of it this way, once you get banned from that other site you can spend more time with us! On the other hand, if you do sell that Penzance for $600 let me know cause I wanna sign up and put mine on there! :lol:

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
I think the spirit of protecting and educating new pipers is a wonderful ambition. Pipe claims such a small community that I couldn't really support taking advantage of anyone personally. If someone wants to list for that great, but I have to wonder if the guy is friendly with or related to the admin since it just doesn't seems like good support of the site members to delete a post educating others on a ridiculous price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
NS, is the tobacco the old version not made anymore or is it the new stuff? Also if you would pm me the name of the site, I would like to go have a look.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I don't know. If I'm an avid pipe smoker who primarily enjoys vintages, chances are that I play golf, drive a Porsche and don't give a crap whether the tin is 10 or 50$ each. Just saw an Ivarson go for 12,000$ the other day. People with money will always buy what they want and don't care about price.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
What a guy asks for his product is his business and not yours. Four 50 gram tins of the original SB are easily worth $300. The only way you should comment would be if the guy is trying the pass off the new SB as the old.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
What a guy asks for his product is his business and not yours
Didn't say it was my business mate, just said I thought it was expensive. BTW, not a very nice approach to your post. Everyone else had something useful to say that could help solve my question. If you are gonna be rude, don't bother answering my threads.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
What a guy asks for his product is his business and not yours. Four 50 gram tins of the original SB are easily worth $300. The only way you should comment would be if the guy is trying the pass off the new SB as the old.
I kinda agree, and I also don't see a question in your original post. I saw the thread you are speaking about and he is only asking what he had already received from other sales. If he can get that price for a hard to come by tobacco I say more power to him!!! If you or anybody else don't like his asking price don't buy it and move on.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm with nsfisher here. I know you can get a crazy amount for a tobacco but that doesn't mean that it is right or you should never be criticized. We are criticized for decisions daily and should probably get used to it, especially if our sole concern in life is to make a buck no matter what.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
It is the right of any prospective buyer to question any price crazy or not. If the administration takes the position of deleting such posts I sure wouldn't want to do any business there. Just my 2 cents.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
are we not in the united states of america? i for one think it is ok to question anything, good or bad whatever. i live in THE USA..... i agree with nsfisher.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I get all my baccy free from fireman03 and crk69 (well, in exchange for some MAYA matches). So far they've sent me about two pounds of good stuff, a free pipe, tools, humidifiers and cash. Now my thoungue hurth.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I commented that I thought it was ridiculous price and I thought sites were not here for "Making money".
What a guy asks for his product is his business and not yours.
Didn't say it was my business mate, just said I thought it was expensive. BTW, not a very nice approach to your post. Everyone else had something useful to say that could help solve my question. If you are gonna be rude, don't bother answering my threads.
Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black eh?
Sorry I don't see anything noble or righteous in what you posted on the other forum. Only someone purposely causing trouble and then feigning offense when called out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.