PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a head cold about a week ago, and it seemed to pass, so I had a few nice bowls of Peterson 3-P and Riverboat Gambler, and so on. Too soon. So the cold came back as a chest cold and it's hung on for several more days. I really dislike being down, so I do various tasks and then get down again. A few OTC meds, plenty of liquids, hot ginger tea and various soups (homemade!) Then the cough stopped, and now it's back, but "productive," gross but maybe clearing out. It could be flu diminished by the flu shot, or just a standard late fall virus. So no more pipes for me for another week or so. I did an allergy medicine when I was sneezing, and the antihistamine may have boloxed up my immune system. You have to be careful with treating a bug as an allergy, just when you need all your attack cells.

Jan 8, 2013
I had the creeping crud recently myself. Feeling better, I went ahead and had a pipe Friday night, but I still haven't felt 100% so I've not had another one since then. I do plan on having a smoke later this evening.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been lucky most of my adult life. I could get under one too many covers and somewhat sweat off a bug overnight and feel good the next morning, with the occasional two or three days down, but usually once a year or less. So I'm spoiled and push myself when it would be smart to lay low.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Another vote for the Neti pot.
I have an old "Cigars For Dummies" book that also claims vitamin C is required for metabolism of nicotine, and could be depleted if not supplemented prior to smoking.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Don't push it- For the past two weeks, I've been dealing with a really nasty virus....and during a violent coughing spasm, choked up a 1'8" piece of steakbone that apparently has been in my upper respiratory system for months. The XRay Friday showed pneumonia that we're hitting aggressively with antibiotics...I've lost 10lbs so far and figure I'll be back to normal in another couple of days....and I guarantee you, I'll wait a couple of weeks before smoking my pipe....

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Whoa, crap, Zach! Hope you mend pdq!
I always back off when I've got any kind of upper respiratory congestion. I'm prone to allergies to start & take generic Claritin-D routinely. Any kind of sinus stuffing & I'll chill till it's gone for sure, for sure.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Definitely the neti pot and about 4000-5000 mg Vitamin C p/day.

Status
Not open for further replies.