PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Well, mostly anyway.
I've come back to reds again and again. They taste great, but smoking them invariably results in a cracked, sore tongue. I admit I may have some bad smoking habits, but my recent experiments have me convinced that--with some exceptions--anything that is predominantly red will bite the hell out of me. Now, Old Gowrie, HOTW, and Anniversary Kake have been quite forgiving (although I still need to be careful), whereas Blackwoods Flake has not. The latter has just killed my tongue. This saddens me. I have about 8 ounces of 5100 and almost a full tin of Blackwoods, and I'm not sure what to do with them. Given my good experience with Old Gowrie, I'll be trying Marlin Flake, but otherwise my choices will venture toward fuller brown Virginias.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I hate to hear that anyone gave up a type of tobacco. I have to admit that my pure Red Virginia experience is only limited to Scottish Flake but I havent noticed a whole lot of bite on it. My sympathies friend.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm the same way but with burley. However you can not go wrong with Marlin Flake. It's like smoking raisens with a little honey and white pepper sprinkled on it. Sticky sweet goodness.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am finding my sensitivity to reds has been diminishing this past year. I make sure I prepare the tobacco and smoke very slowly. I have also discovered that the delayed gratification technique (DGT) has worked well for me to lessen bite. Patience rules in this hobby. I learned I loved reds too much to give up on them so I had to adapt!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The discussion of certain leafs and their effect on smokers has been a constant topic here. It seems that many pipers have problems with red Virginias. I find this to be an interesting issue. I don't react to any particular tobacco so I'm at a loss as to what other are experiencing. Curious at the very least.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am glad I don't have an issue with them. I do prefer the brown's the most though. Marlin Flake is an excellent smoke futureman. It does require a little extra drying time but I think you will enjoy that one.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Yep. I will get some MF soon. I just ran out of Anni Kake and needed to restock immediately. For me, AK *can* bite in a strange way if puffed hard. But the perique and complex array of non-red Virginias result in a much more enjoyable smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There must be a couple of different strains of red Va in common use.

Some red Va blends can irritate while others are benign. Ask Harris.

Maybe the issue is in various processing techniques, or maybe terroir,

or geography and microclimate.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Personally I find all of McClelland's Va's will burn the hell out of your tongue if you don't have them perfect in moisture and in using proper technique. I'd throw it away in the cellar and come back to it later on.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I have about 8 ounces of 5100 and almost a full tin of Blackwoods, and I'm not sure what to do with them.
Futureman, send them to me and I will dispose of them properly for you. :D

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I am finding out, that reds light my tongue up like I just stuck it in a electrical socket. It only affects the sides of my tongue, kinda crazy. More then a bowl a day and it just ruins the rest of my smoking enjoyment for the day. It is hard for me to give up that citrus/sweet goodness though.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
futureman, you might want to try drinking green tea along with the VAs - I've heard the help with tounge bite..
After the third bowl of VAs in a row I tend to get tounge bite also, and the green tea definately worked for me..
Eddy

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
I feel your pain futureman, I have the same problem with latakia. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road something will change within your body chemistry and you'll be able to enjoy red Virginias (if body chemistry can even change?).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
futureman, you should run from Marlin Flake as that will be acid to your tongue. As many people here know I have a huge issue with the reds and I was recently gifted a tin of Marlin flake. It was pure acid to my tongue, the minute the smoke hit it, I was on fire. It is loaded with red as are all the Rattrays Virginia's.
I now have 28 flakes in my cellar that are bite free for me. I do know that Solani Silver flake has a small amount of red but I can handle that one, that is the only one that I know of that has any red in it. There are so many great blends that do not contain the reds that there is no reason to suffer trying to smoke something with them. I stay away from any Virginia's made by McClellend and Rattray as those are the most brutal I have found. I also stay away from the Peter Stokkebye flakes as those have too much red in them for me, they are not as bad as the two previously mentioned, but bad enough that I cannot smoke them.
If you want my list of flakes, let me know. There are enough there to keep you busy for quite some time.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Harris,
The strange thing is that I'm fine with both Old Gowrie and HOTW. I'm wondering if the manner of processing and the presence of perique make a difference here. But like you, PS and McClellend both murder my tongue.
And yes, I've consulted your list of flakes, and they've been helpful in finding that sweet Virginia I love. Some Kondike Gold should be here tomorrow.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
McClelland flakes have always bothered me. However, I have found if I let the tin sit with the lid off, until most of the ketchup smell subsides, they don't bite near as bad. That smell is an acid that needs to dissipate. McClelland Virginias are just too tasty to put on the quarantine list.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I get bit by some Virginia's too, but only if I have multiple bowls over a day or two period of time. If I space out my Virginia's I do fine. The only tobacco I've ever smoked that I would not smoke again because it bit so hard was MacBaren's Scottish Mixture and it was from a 30 year old tin. That tobacco killed my tongue for days! I definitely won't be smoking that blend again.

Status
Not open for further replies.