PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
What are the best vanilla aromatics? Specifically ones without PPG. I have tried several, but have yet to find one with any flavor.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Vanilla Cream Flakes by Mac Baren is my favorite. Seems to have the best flavor in my opinion. They also produce a ribbon cut loose version of the same but never tried that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have diminishing taste for aromatics, and when I smoke them for a change of pace, I want a tobacco forward blend. Flavoring ingredients in general tend to cause bite and burn for me, whereas I experience little or none of that with non-aros. So my idea of a good vanilla aro is Lanes LL-7, which has a little caramel too.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I like McClellan Vanilla black Cavendish for a pure/sharp strong vanilla savor and Sutliff vanilla custard for a more buttery, creamy vanilla feel. Most Aro's are hard to taste but these vanilla's had more taste than others I have tried.
Dermo: What Vanillas have you tried?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Ditto on the Macbaren vanilla creme flake - the flake over the ribbon cut - its the same stuff, but the flake holds its flavor longer - now that said I think it probably has some PPG in it, but not much. Anything from sutliff is going to have a bunch more in it. Lane BCA is pretty darn good too btw.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Sillem's Musketeer is a Cavendish and Burley with vanilla. Sillem's does well with many blends.

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/sillems-musketeer-pipe-tobacco-tin-50g/

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
dermotfahy:
Allow me to suggest Wilke No. 191 from Ms. Carole Burns of Pipeworks & Wilke. Her Website (Pipeworks & Wilke) describes it as, "A tobacco for all seasons, the right aroma and the right taste make this my number one selling tobacco! The natural flavors of vanilla beans and Vermont honey are combined with Virginias, matured Kentucky Burley and a combination of 3 toasted Black Cavendishes to create this most popular mild slow burning blend." I find the taste and aroma to be outstanding, and I recommend this pipe-tobacco.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Arrowhead Pipe Club Mixture from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan is a crazy good blend. :puffy:

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I like Vanilla and I haven't heard of half these blends yet..

Mar 1, 2014
I know it's an "ordinary" sticky mess Aromatic, but I really like Sutliff Mountain Pass (no longer available), which I'm told is just Vanilla Custard (which seems to be in stock at the moment).

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Sutliff/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=151168
Just be aware that small quantities of bulk aromatic may not be able to represent what you would get fresh from a tin. Most of my tins are more flavorful than the bulk versions. Sometimes buying half a pound will give you bulk that's as good as the tin, but not always. Unfortunately sample variation is pretty broad.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is the best, without reservation. However, I found Sutliff's Vanilla Custard / Mountain Pass smells and tastes just like vanilla cake for the first third of the bowl.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is the best, without reservation. However, I found Sutliff's Vanilla Custard / Mountain Pass smells and tastes just like vanilla cake for the first third of the bowl.
I'm interested, what do you find better about cream flake over custard? Does it have more taste?
I just got Sutliff Vanilla Royal but haven't tried yet...

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
1792 has a vanilla hint to it. It's the Tonquin Bean. It's not a vanilla aromatic by any means. Of course I bring this up for the folks who just hate goopy aromatics. Vanilla taste would be subjective in the case.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I'm interested, what do you find better about cream flake over custard? Does it have more taste?
I've found aromatics of the same flavor differ from company to company. MacB's Vanilla Cream has a very "bright" vanilla taste to it (to me), while the Sutliff offering is softer, more buttery tasting. However, I think the tobaccos in the MacBaren tobacco are of better quality, and hold together better toward the end of the bowl.
Regarding GLP's Virginia Cream, I haven't smoked it yet...is it a vanilla aromatic? I thought the topping was a liquor of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.