PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I'm a new smoker of less than a year.I have been smoking cobs to perfect my packing and smoking cadence.I truly thought all briars we're created equal until this morning when I smoked a pipe i bought yesterday that in my opinion is made better than my grabow which opened my eyes to how good a briar actually can smoke.Still I will not pay over 120 for a pipe.I would appreciate any suggestions on good smoking pipes south of 100 dollars.I am now looking at Rossi pipes and was wondering if anyone who has one could offer feedback.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Briarworks Classics line has a few great looking pipes for $90-$100. Stanwell's are good bang for the buck. Many on here are fans of Savinelli and they do make a great pipe, I'm just not a fan of the filter system. Also check out the estate market. There are a number of sponsors who sell great estate pipes for $100 or less

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like my BriarWorks bent pot. I paid about a hundred for it.

I have a Stanwell bulldog that’s pretty good for same price.

I have Brebbia Author that’s better than Savinelli s version...it’s for sale btw.

I like my Savinelli natural lumberman, I paid much less than a hundred for it.

Then I have a 2018 St Patrick’s Day bent Dublin by Peterson, same price, but still trying to figure out how to smoke it.
But I like my cobs the best, especially the Rob Roy’s.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I’ll throw Ropp pipes into the mix. Lots of different styles and IMO smoke fantastic for their price point.

Jun 27, 2016
Do you have any further criteria besides "sub-$100"? IF you don't mind Vulcanite, there are probably a bunch of good sub-$75

or even sub-$50 pipes out there.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>Still I will not pay over 120
Definitely agree with stflorian -- Stanwells are definitely underappreciated & usually reasonably priced. Rossis I've heard are good, but never had one. Brebbias are also good; no need to go for the Linea series unless you can get an "A" grade for cheap.
Estate pipes don't have to be dismissed out of hand, & can offer some REALLY good deals on what would be a number of good choices even if bought new. Smokingpipes.com is an *excellent* choice, as is www.estatepipescentral.com, or any number of the sponsors here. Makers like GBD, Comoy's, & others may not currently be *quite* as high quality as before their acquisition by megacorps like Cadogan, et al., but for everyday smokes they're still good. The eall bennie is that places like the ones I just mentioned can be good sources for "back when they were REALLY good," GBD in particular. (If you see a GDB that has a little oval brass logo in the stem, it means it was pre-Cadogan & very good quality.)
I mentioned earlier to be wary on eBay since there are so many shady sellers. There are more than a few, though, that really stand out as 115% reliable & trustworthy. I hope I don't neglect anyone here by *not* mentioning them, but one of the very VERY best is pipestud. His rep is beyond stellar, & justly so; you can buy from him with 0 worries at all. Other good ones (no particular order): colwright; twestpipe & kahuna100 (I've had several good experiences with all 3); fory63 (in Germany; I've bought 4-5 from him); & bima1960 & pipesonrattan (both in Italy; also multiple happy buys from both).
Some sellers on ebay may look to have, er, shiny reputations as pipe sellers if you just look at their feedback, but should be approached with some caution. ;)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Check Blue Room Briars.. They have some nice estates up under $100. If you buy from Scott & Jessie your pipe will be very nice.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I have a Winslow Poker, lower end of them, that I love to smoke ($90). It has a perfect draw and smokes to the bottom of the bowl. Easy to pass a cleaner and everything.
And my most recent buy (and last for a while) was a Ropp Etudiant J11. It is a smaller pipe for my flakes that smoke longer, and the stem is more of an oval than a circular (couldn't tell by the pictures and is different than my others, but it is growing on me) but smokes like a champ. That one was just over 45 bucks.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
I will agree with much that has been written. You can find many Savinelli's at a decent price and they are great smokers. I also have a Stanwell that I absolutely love. Take a good look at some estate pipes, many sites offer them and you can usually get a great pipe at a discounted price.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Oh man I didn't expect

So many responses.This is awesome.Ok to start with no there is nothing else but the price.I would like acrylic stems as I heard they are easier to maintain.Also I need to research these dry systems as I really don't use filters although I'm looking forward to trying the new mm wood filters.As for shapebim drawn toward rounder shapes.Right now there is a savinelli that I think its the 316 that really like.They have a series called the that is drilled 3mm filter less.If those 2 line up I'll pull the trigger.You know if it gets better than smoking year old ps luxury navy flake packed with the Frank method drinking coffee and finally talking with other pipe smokers by buying a better made pipe I'll probably spend more.Also I have a mm Rob Roy I started with and it's turned really dark gold and smoked Kendall Kentucky like nobodies business.Im gonna check the pipe on here first.I will let you guys know how it goes.And I truly thank everyone of you for you time.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Could you guys drop a few good online pipe retailers names also.Smd I'm sorry for loading the forum down with Winston's but I've been learning by trail and error and if I can avoid costly mistakes by picking your brains I hope y'all don't mind

casualcanuck

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
As a Canadian, I may be a little biased here, but there are a few lines of Brigham pipes that fall under $100, and every Brigham I have smoked smokes like a dream. Take a look at them on skokingpipes and you will see the systems, Voyageurs, Algonquins, Sportsman, Mountaineers, and Chinooks all fall in that category. Again, I may be biased.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
Check out Morgan bones line of pipes. Great smoking briars for around $40. Get on their email list and wait for him to restock.

Status
Not open for further replies.