PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just fill up whatever pipe I'm in the mood to smoke, smoke as much or as little as I want, then put the pipe down to rest when I've had enough. When I'm ready to smoke again, I just relight and go.

Bingo. Just smoke normally and dgt the bowl.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Wouldn't it be great if we could mark time, not with a clock, but by how long it takes to smoke your pipe.
sjf's Theory of General Relativity:

T=(group x)r where (group x) is the size of the bowl and r is the rate at which the smoker draws.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Canadian voyageurs sort of did just that. If I remember right they marked distance by how many pipes (rest breaks) it took to travel by canoe somewhere. I am rusty on it but I believe they kept track this way.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have a six pipe rack with nothing but "short smokes" size pipes including a Mastro de Paya, my first pipe, Iwan Ries 1/4 bent, 2 Petes, a Brebbia Celius and a Chacom 1/4 bent. All have smallish bowls and smoke well for 20 minutes or so. Usually, the smoking time, when available at all, is longer but good to have some quick smokers at your elbow.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I personally would recommend you smoke a regular sized pipe and pack it like you would normally. Smoke what you can and relight it later when you can. Besides most virginia's get better that way. Some people will light a pipe and then put it down and leave it until the next day for that specific reason.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I personally would recommend you smoke a regular sized pipe and pack it like you would normally. Smoke what you can and relight it later when you can. Besides most virginia's get better that way. Some people will light a pipe and then put it down and leave it until the next day for that specific reason.
Now I have to try that just to see if I notice the difference. I'm smoking my way through some 221b that I like but don't love. I think I'll try smoking a half bowl tonight and see if I like the second half better after work tomorrow. Any tips for this technique?

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Spencer,

thanks for the information. It may sound strange to some, but I hate re-lights.

I don't really don't smoke Va or VaPers too often. I mainly have an english/balkan packed, and find that re-lights taste

dirty and ashy for quite a while. It never really smokes as sweet as the first light. I then end up wasting

a bunch of leaf.
I'm a fan of small bowls for small smokes, and big'uns for the long sit. I'll reference your recommendations when searching for a few pipes.
Skol.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I have always found my Zulus fit that bill, 20-25 mins tops(there all small to mid range mind you).

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Cosmic,
I understand your position, but often I just don't have time to dedicate to a big bowl. Possibly at the end of the day.

There are more opportunities for me to get in a 15-30 min bowl.
simong,
I have always liked the look of a zulu, but do not own any. I will keep this in mind.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
hqdefault.jpg

The Boswell Zublin, it's a bitch to clench though. But anything group 1-3 should be okay.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Peterson's Standard or Premier 317 is a good one for quick smoke. It is the smallest one of all their system pipes I think. Good for a 15 minute smoke. Plus it's an army style pipe that can be taken apart any time you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.