PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Hi everyone I hope you are all well, I'm 28 and have not long got into this hobby of pipe smoking (only about 2 weeks) and I'm allready finding it to be quite enjoyable and relaxing even with the steep learning curve of packing the bowl to keeping it lit but I am getting there slowly but surely and have on 2 occasions managed to keep it going down to the last sip (if only every bowl was like that) I picked up my first and only pipe for now (mm corn cob legend) along with 3 tobacco blends, auld kendal light virginia, auld kendal carribean coconut and auld kendal coffee caramel from my local tobacconist, I bought this pipe as it was a cheap way to find out if I liked pipe smoking or not plus I've only read good reviews about cobs as a first or daily pipe but now that I am enjoying it I feel I'd like to have something a little more suited to my style to hold and smoke from, I am not looking to spend too much just yet and have been looking at the falcon coolway 13 and also the Dr grabow and Dr plum ranges, my favourite looking pipe I've seen so far is an erik nording freehand signature black grain which I intend to buy in future but I do think that this will be quite a heavy pipe and not something for everyday use so would rather get something more manageable for my first briar, I also need to get one soon as my corn cob is taking a beating as being new I am trying out bowl after bowl before it has time to cool down, my next pipe I will have more respect for but as this was cheap I don't mind if I burn it out too quickly, for now I just want to smoke my way through the different blends until I have found my favourites, the auld kendal carribean coconut is my favourite so far all though it is a little on the light side and am looking for something stronger and perhaps some vanilla flavours, thank you for taking the time to read through this, I am new to this so please excuse my long winded post, any suggestions to a reasonable priced first briar worth looking at would be much appreciated, looking around the under £50 range for now, the more expensive pipes I will aquire in time, happy piping

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome, Gordon.
You might consider getting 2 or 3 more cobs for rotation, especially since you've been enjoying the one you have.
Grabows aren't "fancy", but have a solid reputation and have been around a long time. Falcons are also an old school maker and have a bit of a cult following.
I found my Falcon to be a bit small, but I seem to be in the minority. I know nothing about Dr. Plum.
Check out the sponsor links on the left edge of the page. Most of those guys will treat you right.
Since you're spending pounds, I imagine you're in the UK? Smokingpipes recently got their website going in your area and they have a stellar reputation.
Don't let the thought of an estate pipe scare you off, either. A great way to get a higher grade of pipe within your budget.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Nording signature freehand isn't that heavy, has an ample bowl, and is a fine smoker. Nording makes various sizes. If your online retailer lists weight, that can be your guide. I like the Dr. Grabow Royalton series for its acrylic stems. People like their Falcons, if you favor the metal shanks. Savenelli makes Rossi pipes in many of their shapes, and the Vittoria series is comfortably priced. Good luck in your shopping. There are a number of other good quality lower priced pipes, but I will leave it there for now. Welcome aboard. P.S. You can call an online retailer and ask for the weight of specific pipes, the Nording for example.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Thank you for your quick responses I am glad to hear the the Eric nording isn't too heavy to handle, I will also take a look through the sites sponsor's and see what they have, I have just stumbled across a duncan briars freehand smooth pipe that is similar style to the Eric nording but is only £44 so this may be the one I go for if it seems to be a good pipe, not sure if anyone here has seen or tried it but would love to hear any information about it

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duncan-Briars-Freehand-Smooth-Bent-Pipe-h-NEW-Made-in-England-/232936062892 not sure if links are allowed or not so I do apologise if not, this is the duncan briars here

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I too am new to this hobby. But I can suggest Dr.grabows and nording. I have a rusticated semi-churchwarden valcano nording from smokingpipes.com for $50 that i love. They always seem to be getting in new affordable nordings all the time so might keep an eye out on there. Also as Jaytex said don't be afraid of estates, I just pick up 6 pipes and a stand for 20 bucks at a local antique store. Takes a little work to clean them up but well worth it. I got mine looking almost brand new used oxiclean some mircomeah, salt and alcohol treatment on the bowl and a good polish with my dremel.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
That's a great buy we'll done, I have had a look at estates but I'm so new I wouldn't know what is good or bad, nothing wrong with a bit of elbow grease to get it back to order, I'm also planning on making my own pipe in the near future as I've started whittling and have made a few small one piece of wood pipes for fun but I like the idea of carving my own from a briar pipe kit

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Estate pipe briars are an excellent way to get high quality pipes for a good price. I bought a Savinelli 514 from Smokingpipes and it's been one of my favorites.
Also since you like the MM Cobs, try out their bag of seconds. You can get a full rotation for cheap and they're all good smokers, they just didn't meet MM's perfect quality to be sold solo. Only thing I noticed from the bag of seconds was that there may be a few dings on the top of the cob but that never effected their smoking ability.
But for sure check out estate pipes, I've scored Petersons, Savs, and CBDs at a good price. If you like new, loot at Nording pipes as they offer some decently priced Briar pipes. Dr. Gabrow has a good reputation but I've yet to own one myself. I'll probably end up changing that before long.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd recommend you purchase a couple more MM's and saving your money until you can get a nice estate Savinelli or Ascorti on eBay. You could even look at Moretti pipes sold new on eBay. I have a number of Moretti pipes, they smoke great and are a excellent value.
I'd recommend not putting too much emphasis on smoking a bowl without a relight. When you can do that without thinking about it, great. But if you are too focused on that as your major metric for your pipe smoking expertise, you may lose sight of just enjoying yourself. Take your time, enjoy the bowl and realize relights aren't a crime.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The Legend is a great Cob, great pipe all around, like others Id sudgest a few more cob and Dr Grabow and Mr Brog pipes would be good for first briars and wont break the bank

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gordon- Links are allowed, but if it's an image, it's preferred to embed them in the post, as follows.
(You simply take the URL you posted above, and pop it into the IMG tag above the compose window.
s-l1600.jpg

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Missouri Meerschaum bag of seconds. 7 pipes for just under $30. Best money I ever spent.
Also saw a quote from an unknown YouTube video awhile back. Kinda wish I would’ve done this when I first started: “spend your money on tobacco, not pipes”.
If it’s gotta be a briar than I definitely concur with the above suggestions. A Dr Grabow or a Brog would be an excellent first briar.
My very first pipe was a Grabow Grand Duke and that poor thing has been through newbie hell. Actually smoked it so hot, the varnish started bubbling on the outside of the bowl. Also had a crack in the stem and has been replaced. Can’t count the number of times I almost threw it out but it’s grown sentimental. Not to mention it’s also a great smoker. It’s my dedicated C&D Crooner pipe now. Really need to refinish it one of these days soon.
Anyway, you’re definitely in the right place for good info. Let us know what you end up getting.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Go for DUnhill......Not :D
Jst grab grabows or maybe some savinelli... and an addition to Jay, cobs! never gone wrong with cheap MM cobs :D

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Also, with the estates, an eBay estate will likely require refurbishing but one from smokingpipes or most of the sponsors will already be spruced up. Just re-sanitize the stem and fill 'er up. Minimal elbow grease required.
jay-roger.jpg

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'll throw the Savinelli subsidiary "Rossi" into the conversation.
Yeah, I've never had a bad experience with Rossi. II prefer them over many higher-grade pipes I own, I don't worry if one gets dropped or left in the truck overnight, and they don't have the gimmicky finishes their 'big brother' Savs sometimes have.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I have like 5 or 6 Stanwells that all smoke great and I was able to get new, on sale for close to Dr. Grabow money. Those and MM cobs are God's gift to pipe smokers IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.