PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
15 tins in the cellar. Sure would like to make it an even 20 but the TAD monster sleeps... zzzz...

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I would have picked some up, but I'm noticing that the latakia in these is Cyprian vs Syrian Latakia, and I don't know how the blend will have changed with that substitution. I do understand that Syrian has gone the way of the dodo, but I wanted to check with others before dropping 5 more tins into the cellar.
Any comparisons out there? My particular tins all say SYRIAN Latakia not just "Latakia", if that helps.
CW

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Right below the description of Ashton Artisan's Blend at tobaccopipes.com
**These blends have been updated with Cyprian Latakia**
Also no reference to Syrian Latakia on the tin anymore.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Right below the description of Ashton Artisan's Blend at tobaccopipes.com
**These blends have been updated with Cyprian Latakia**
Also no reference to Syrian Latakia on the tin anymore.
Yep, that's exactly what I noticed...hence my question for those who have had both. :)

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
So so very tempting. I’ve got to slow my roll for the next couple of months though. Wife worked in accounting for many years so she does our taxes. When she saw how much I’d spent between last year, and especially so far this year, well, suffice to say it’s cheaper to keep’er. Trying to explain the deeming laws monster to her is like talking to a cat.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Yep, that's exactly what I noticed...hence my question for those who have had both. :)
I have the same question. I bought a couple tins a few months ago and they said Syrian. I’m wondering if that’s a mis-print. Speaking of, there’s another one I should have stacked deep: MacB HH Vintage Syrian.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I do have about 5 tins of HH Vintage Syrian, which I'm going to hang on to. Only opened one (before I knew of the scarcity, or I'd have cellared more. Great Stuff.
CW

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I do have about 5 tins of HH Vintage Syrian, which I'm going to hang on to. Only opened one (before I knew of the scarcity, or I'd have cellared more. Great Stuff.
CW
I have about 4lbs of the HH Vintage Syrian. I absolutely love that stuff. I have only tried the new Ashton Artisan's Blend and I enjoyed it enough to put 15 tins in the cellar.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Oh yeah... Sorry about that. Guess I should've read your post better.
I just bought some recently so I think I may actually have both blends. I'll check it out and get back.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
not sure how accurate the label is, but what i got from them so far says syrian latakia.
The new version (Cyprian) has a darker shade and the tin says only “Latakia” in the description.

Example from SPC site

ZnjVbNr.jpg

The older version (Syrian) is lighter shade, more light purple, and the tin says “Syrian Latakia” in the description.

Example from my cellar

sYRHXQf.jpg

acsSa6j.jpg

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Geeezzz Neal... I really really want that tote!
I like how you wrap your tins in saran wrap. Is that to keep them together or for further protection/sealing? Both?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Clear box is from the container store. It is a vinyl record box, but it holds 9 rows of tins perfectly. I wrap 5 tins in saran wrap as a "set of 5", thus easier to track my total in the cellar. The saran wrap is only to hold them together, it has no effect on the tin per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.