PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hey gang, I've been buried under various obligations lately and so absent from the boards, but I caught up today and posted a review over at luxury tobacco reviews...here it is in its entirety. And, um, I hate to mention it but the formatting always seems to get borked on the review site :crying: When will computers learn to interpret an apostrophe?
Brand: GL Pease

Blend: Cairo

Blender: GL Pease, through Cornell & Diehl

Type: VaPerO

Cut: Ribbon

Cure: Air cured

Tobaccos: Virginia, Perique, Oriental

Strength: Medium-Strong

Room Note: Cigarette-ish

Tin Size: 2 oz.

Tin Age: New—under 6 months

Tin Description: Cairo is a wonderfully complex mixture of red, orange and bright Virginia tobaccos, exotic oriental leaf, and just a whisper of Perique. The flavor is naturally sweet, slightly nutty, delicately spicy and rich. Subtle citrus-like notes harmoniously support the more robust flavors of the darker Virginias. Cairo is a medium bodied but very satisfying tobacco with a delicate aroma that will be enjoyed by Virginia lovers and the connoisseur of oriental mixtures alike.
True to form for a Pease offering, this blend’s initial simplicity belies an exceedingly complex character. With a fresh tin the initial smokes were pleasant, if nothing special. Delving into the second ounce, however, yielded a treasure trove of aroma and flavor, quite unexpectedly. Patience and persistence are richly rewarded with this blend, and although perhaps not a benchmark VaPerO, certainly Cairo can stand with the best.
Tin: While listed as a ribbon cut, there is certainly cube- and flake-cut leaf present. Overall a light- to milk-chocolate color with a smattering of dark, black and olive thrown in. The tin’s first impression on opening is a slightly astringent, fruity aroma with some malty sweetness—stewed and fermented fig mixed with stale ale, but in a good way, mind you. With some time this mellows to a strong cola aroma, with hints of classic Virginia ketchup. Nominal moisture best dried for 15-30 minutes.
Char: On the initial light the Virginias really stand up, bright and sharp. This is quickly tempered by the dry smokiness of the Orientals and, to a lesser degree, the Perique components.
Top: While the immediate impression is akin to a cigarette, it will soon become apparent that there really is a lot going on in this blend. The sharp Virginia pokes in again and again adding a bright sweetness, while the Orientals steadily grow in character, donning many different flavors. Sweet cola plays behind a rich roasted pecan, with an acrid tang on the edges of pepper, turmeric and ginger.
Mid: Perique, in small amounts, tends to come through most prominently in the middle and endgame, and that’s certainly the case here. Without this added condiment I think the Orientals would fade to a very bland smoke; however in Cairo they are very much lifted and nuanced by the darker leaf. The very nutty, rich body is redolent with the spice bazaar that Pease was aiming to recall—dried mango, coffee grounds, cinnamon bark, chili pepper and teak, sandalwood and even hints of betel nut seem to splash on the palate and the nose. Rather than having to pay attention to decipher this smoke, it tends to grab your attention and taunt you with its riot of subtle flavors.
Finish: Certainly a very active smoke, it finishes with a very good crescendo of all the flavors coming together, with the Perique very nicely tying it all together. One is left with a strong coffee or black tea aftertaste with a bit of leathery wood—think lapsang souchong, though not as oily. Throughout, the burn has been easy to control and without a hint of bite, and burns down to ash readily.
Room Note: A sharp, slightly acrid room smoke will hang and cling to clothing and furniture. Smokers won’t mind at all, but those sensitive to cigarettes or cigars will not fare as well.
Overall: For all its similarities to cigarette flavor and smell, Cairo is far, far more complex, satisfying and rich. This would be a great transitional pipe for a cigarette smoker, one that would let them know everything that a cigarette only wishes it could be. Also to note is its remarkable flexibility in terms of pipe and cadence—it smokes wonderfully in all size and shape chambers, and at all cadences, and in fact the taste will vary slightly with each one. It finds its best companion, however, in a long billiard style dedicated to VaPers, perhaps a group 4 Canadian.
RATING: 4 stars

For a deceptively complex blend, very full of flavor once you peek behind the curtain.

Minor points lost for its sometimes overly acrid profile and somewhat temperamental attitude toward beverage pairings. Also the room note and linger may deter indoor smoking.

It would be very interesting to taste this after three years or so in the tin, before the Virginias peak and the Orientals begin to decline.
RECOMMENDED.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the review but based on the number of times you refer to cigarettes I'd have to think twice about trying it. Is this something a Latakia fan would enjoy despite it absence?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Surprisingly, PAPipe, I think you would--because it does have a lot of the smokey flavor and nuanced qualities that good Lat blends do. The fact that it uses a lot of the same Orientals (definitely lots of Turkish, and I'm guessing Yenidje based on some other blends I've been tasting) that cigarettes do shouldn't be a deterrent--because the quality of the leaf and the freshness far surpass anything you'll find offered from old Joe Camel, or even Dunhill or Nat Sherman for that matter. They may be the same crops, but these are the cream of those crops, assuredly. The similarity to a cig is very superficial once you discover the layer upon layer of flavor underneath.

Dec 24, 2012
I tried my first bowl of Cairo today and so I'm bumping this review. I liked it, but it did remind me a lot of EMP, which is not a bad thing. I wouldn't by scores of tins for the cellar, but it's nice to have a few tins of Cairo when I want a change of pace. The orientals certainly come through in spades, for those who like that (and I do, very occasionally).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for bumping this, peck. This is an outstanding review. I haven't had Cairo, but I've played around making my own VaPerOs and this review gets it exactly right, especially about the nuttiness and the spices. Crucially, it also points out how the Orientals are brought to the fore in a unique way by the Perique. Well done, romeowood.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
This is a great review for a great tobacco. I think it tastes best in a large bowl pipe when smoked slow. In addition to the spices mentioned by romeowood I also seem to taste cardamom in this blend.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Awesome thread necromancy, there :wink:
@roth-- Maybe yes on "the tobacco in an "open tin" improves after a week or two." I do find that blends often benefit from airing out a bit, just as wine does. It sometimes depends on just how long it's been sitting in a tin, too; some really old blends will actually lose a lot of flavor in a very short time if over-aired. For the most part, though, I feel like Cairo has a stride that I hit after a few bowls, and I've gone through many tins with this same experience. I will say that I have actually come to regard it as one of my benchmark VaPerOs, in contrast to what I stated in that review. (My others are C&Ds Sunday Picnic and H&Hs NYPC Bedloe's Island, if you're interested.)
"Rather than having to pay attention to decipher this smoke, it tends to grab your attention and taunt you with its riot of subtle flavors."

This statement, I think, sums up Cairo for me. It's a hell of a blend, and wonderful with a couple years on it, as I postulated way back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.