PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
About halfway through a tin of this and all I can say is WOW!! To me this is the "desert island" English blend. Mr. Pease nailed this one. I smoked some of this a few years ago and liked it, recently revisited it and LOVED it.

I know everyone's tastes are different, but this one hits me in all the right places.....

I'm not great at describing but to me, this blend is all about balance, every player gets its turn, and not one dominates..

I get the smoky lat, then the the sour-spicy orientals, then a little sweet VA, then repeat..... to me it resembles a great cigar, complex, and ever changing. Just a damn good smoke, on a cold winter night in Ohio!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I really like Westminster also, funnily enough, I was just eying a tin of 2011, going to have to open that one soon!

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Great to read this post. I actually smoked my first bowl of this tonight, from a new tin bought a few months ago. As I was smoking it I was thinking of how it reminded me of Dunhill style tobacco. Then I read the reviews for it, and many people compare it to a classic and bygone version of London Mixture, which is my fave Dunhill, but I've only tried the contemporary version LM. I am going to buy some more of Westminster to age. It's definitely a deluxe English. Yes, it is Damn Good!

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Thank you for the kind words, gents. If you'd like to read the backstory of Westminster's creation, it can be found here. Hard to believe it was so long ago...
-glp

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Also a blend at the top of my list. Thank you Mr. Pease.
Reading the backstory makes me wonder if the day will ever come when your blends will experience a similar fate as London Mixture or any of the other "lost" blends of yore. I certainly hope not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What do I do now? I have a tin of GLP Westminster with a yellow sticker on the bottom that says 071513, which I take to mean it was sealed July 15, 2013. So, do I plan to open it soon or put it in the back row and wait for some glorious day in the future? Refined English blends are among my favorites.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I hold Westminster to be my quintessential English blend. There are a few I like just a bit better and a few I find more interesting but I feel it really defines English blends, at least for me. Easily one of my favorites. Yes, I know how that term is neither well defined nor particularly accurate but I find it a useful descriptor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
glp, great article on the quest to create Westminster. It's what I hope tobacco blending usually is.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
mso489,
I'd at least wait until the tin's 2nd birthday. That could be a glorious day in the not too distant future you could look forward to.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
About 7 or 8 years ago, Dunhill tobacco blends were not available here in the US. At that time, My Mixture 965 was one of my favorites, always in the rotation. I found out too late to stock up, so I looked for a replacement. That turned out to be Westminster. While not the same, it hit home with me, and I struck up what continues to this day to be a fine relationship. When MM965 again became available, it came back into the fold and found a new place in rotation, but Westminster still reigns as the "big jar". The "big jar" now open is from 2011.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Side note to GLP: your blends form the foundation for most of my favorites. Only recently discovered the wonderfulness of Lagonda. It is quickly rising in the rotational sequence.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Decades ago, and even before the much maligned production change to Murray's, Dunhill Aperitif, MM965 and Nightcap were my go-tos, even over my #4 blend, Balkan Sobranie 759. I never got much into London Mixture. Several years ago, when I came back to pipes, I gave some Murray's London a shot, and it grew on me. LM is now in my Top200 Cellar, and I find the current production quite fine. However, in the interim of Dunhill's absence from the US market, I discovered Pease blends, many of which also occupy my cellar. I have thought a lot about the LM genesis for Westminster, but I really prefer it to any of the great Dunhills. It is more complex and much more interesting to me. It also produces different palate experiences depending on the specific pipe, but never disappoints.
Lately I've been migrating towards liking the brightness of fresh Latakia blends, once they've aired out for a few days from a newly popped tin. The old blends are definitely smoother and mellower, but often blander and less fulfilling. This is especially true with the Syrian Latakia blends. Westminster is great, whether fresh or aged.
hp

les

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Smoking a bowl of WM in a DunHill ODA 851, my God Man..............
I think I'll join you, opened the tin of 2011 Friday last, it's had a few days to breathe...in a Dunhill 36 F/T.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sweet! the Liverpool is the best! And shells are the best smokers.... I've got a few roots and briars......the shells are the good smokers.......Enjoy that smoke ,thats quite a rare piece you have there...............

Status
Not open for further replies.