PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Lately, I've really been enjoying Stonehenge Flake. My first bowl or two, I didn't care for it, but it's really growing on me. I've noticed it has a tartness to it, almost like dried apricot that I really like. I noticed it in Cabbie's Mixture, as well. Those are the only two Lakeland-made VaPer flakes I've had, I think. I've been wanting to try Gawith's St. James Flake, and a local B&M has it in bulk.
I was wondering what you guys thought of St. James, and if it has any similarities or major differences from Stonehenge. Thanks in advance!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I never had Stonehenge, but if it's like Cabbies, then neither are like St. James Flake. SJF has a fermented, earthy VaPer character; with dark, moist, dense flakes; and a hint of a chocolate edge (well, vaguely chocolaty isn't exactly accurate, but it's the best I can come up with.)
As long as the B&M has it in bulk, ask for a pinch to sample. If you like VaPers, I'm pretty sure you'll like SJF -- sort of a VaPer on the dark side.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant made in the Lakelands (i.e. manufgactured by GH&C or SG), not as a blend with Lakeland essences.
Aside from that bit of dried Apricot, I think Stonehenge and Cabbies are pretty different, and I had trouble getting Cabbies to smoke well. I am kind of hoping St. James Flake performs better for me, and it's available locally, so I'm rooting for it. Thanks for the feedback.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Personally I think St. James Flake obliterates Stonehenge Flake. SJF is one of the finest VaPers I’ve ever had, Stonehenge is just meh.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have not tried Stonehenge but I would highly recommend trying St James even for its own merits.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Because of its moisture, I have to rub out SJF and then dry the ribbon shreds before smoking. Then it will produce luxurious, chewy smoke. Otherwise, it doesn't burn well for me and I struggle with a damp wad of tobacco all the way down to wet dottle.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Otherwise, it doesn't burn well for me and I struggle with a damp wad of tobacco all the way down to wet dottle.
That was more or less the issue with Cabbies for me. It seemed even after rubbing out and drying it still stayed wet. I'm not inherently anti-humectant, and have never tasted anything from off from its use, but whatever was going on with that tin of Cabbie's was insane.

When I smoke Cabbies, I pop the tin and set it on a coffee mug warmer till it is all warmed up. I turn the warmer off and set the tin aside to cool off. And, then after a week of setting out, I put the whole tin in a ceramic bowl and put it in the microwave. I haven't actually gotten any of it to dry out yet. I may try the microwave again. I had forgotten all about this tin till just now. :puffy:

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Stonehenge is one of my new favorites, and St.James Flake is a long time friend. They both have a place in my cellar. :puffy:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Man, if you have access to bulk SJF, definitely go for it, you lucky dog! I've been trying to find some for a while, and when I finally tried it a couple weeks ago, it completely rocked my world. Burned through my first tin scary quick. As hard as it is to get, though, it's going to have to be a special treat thing for me from now on.
Louisiana Perique Flake........
Been trying to find this one for a while, mainly out of curiosity after reading that it's Stonehenge (which I really like) by another name. Is that true?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Cortez said
St. James Flake. SJF has a fermented, earthy VaPer character; with dark, moist, dense flakes; and a hint of a chocolate edge (well, vaguely chocolaty isn't exactly accurate, but it's the best I can come up with.)
As long as the B&M has it in bulk, ask for a pinch to sample. If you like VaPers, I'm pretty sure you'll like SJF -- sort of a VaPer on the dark side.
Spot on! I’ve been working on 5 y/o SJF recently and the above is a great description. Last time I had a new tin, I picked up on more chocolate, a bit of orange, some mild coffeee notes and a lot of yeasty-breadlines which is all much subdued in the aged stuff which has a lot of musty, earthy funkiness to the fore.

Reactions: grumpyoltroll
Status
Not open for further replies.