PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I just ordered the following:
Cumberland: A robust blend of American tobaccos, featuring a rare and exquisite aged Kentucky dark-fired tobacco, beautifully complimenting the variety of Virginias and the pinch of Louisiana Perique. Sip slowly, and enjoy the lingering notes of its harmonious symphony of flavors. From the Original Series.
Stratford: Virginias and perique, enticing, nuanced and delicately sweet. The interplay of sugar and spice will delight the lover of this time-honored combination. Sip the smoke slowly to extract the greatest enjoyment! From the Classic Collection.
from glpease.com
Cumberland led me in because of the inclusion of this rare and especially good dark-fired Kentucky, and the fact that is comprised of only American tobaccos, which I thought would be interesting.
I chose Stratford because I don't think I've tried a Perique blend yet, or at least not one with Perique being the main focus of the blend.
At the risk of getting slightly off topic I was going to purchase (but probably will still soon) MacBaren HH Acadian Perique to try out a Perique-heavy blend.
Anyhow, if anyone can say "Those are good" or "those did not agree with me" that'd be great, and please do discuss GL Pease's blends so we can all understand them a little better. :puffy:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Greg makes some really amazing stuff.
The guy is a freakin' Renaissance Man, but I won't get into details and embarrass him. I'll stick to tobaccos.
I haven't smoked all of his tobaccos yet, but I should add that to my "To Do" list.
Here are the ones I've smoked ...
Barbary Coast: A unique blend of top-grade cube-cut burley, matured red Virginia and fine Louisiana Perique. A kiss of fine brandy, and an exclusive process polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Satsifying and rich, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits.
Yum. Smoked this during the slow smoke contest at the 2010 Chicago pipes show. It's really good, and unique in that it's the only Pease blend with a topping.
Chelsea Morning: A traditional style blend of bright and red virginias, orientals, a whisper of Cyprus Latakia, and just a hint of perique. From the Old London Series.
Delicious! My review of Chelsea Morning.
Haddo's Delight: A stout blend of Virginias, burleys, and long-cut perique. This full-bodied blend has remained a best-seller since its introduction in 2000. From the Original Series.
Smoked this in Denmark with Sykes Wilford, the owner of SmokingPipes.com. It is quite tasty, and gave me a little buzz, which was fine since I was kind of "on vacation" while on a business trip at the same time.
JackKnife Plug: The first entry in the New World Collection, and our first plug. JackKnife is a stout blend of dark and bright virginia tobaccos, and Kentucky dark-fired leaf, pressed and aged, then cut into bars. A versatile tobacco. Slice it thick or thin, rub the slices into ribbons or a shag, or even cut it as a cube-cut, according to your preference.
An amazingly unique and wonderful tasting tobacco, which I reviewed here.
Lagonda - Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm!
Man! This is soooo damn good. Here is my review.
Maltese Falcon: Originally conceived as a replacement for the old Raven's Wing, Maltese Falcon quickly evolved into something bigger. It's a rich, bold blend, with excellent body, a beguiling sweetness, and solid structure, ideal for those who enjoy a sophisticated, yet comfortable and refined English-style mixture.
This is the first G.L. Pease tobacco I fell in love with. If Maltese Falcon was a chick, I would marry it. Here is my review of Maltese Falcon.
Quiet Nights: The second entry in the Old London series - a rich, English style flake of virginias, orientals, Cyprus Latakia and Acadian perique. A wonderful tobacco for contemplative moments.
To me, this is like smoking candy. It goes amazingly well with Fonseca Port.
Triple Play - A rich, unique, wonderful, must-try blend. Here is my review of Triple Play.
Union Square: First released in June, 2009, Union Square is the first 100% virginia tobacco to be developed by G.L. Pease. No sugars, sauces, or flavourings are used in the blend - just pure virginia goodness.
This is also like smoking candy, but much lighter, and completely different than Quiet Nights. What's really cool is that I first smoked Union Square in Union Square when I went to San Francisco in June 2010. It was so good that I smoked it every day for 4 days and killed the tin.
I also set off the fire alarm ... but that's all I'm telling of that story.
My Union Square Review.
Wesminster: Introduced January, 2007, Wesminster is a rich, balanced English style mixture of Cyprus Latakia, fine oriental tobaccos, and rich, ripe Virginia leaf. This one is “Essentially English.” From the Heirloom Collection.
In a word: Amazing. If you love English blends, this is a must-have.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'll find out soon. Just ordered Haddo's delight, JKP, Embarcadero and Fillmore. I was waffling to get Union square.. shoulda coulda woulda ;-)
Left on my shortlist of GL Peases to try are Cumberland, Stratford,Barbary Coast, Cairo and Telegraph Hill.
So.. Zanthal... I expect a full report on those two you got ;-) Unless Mr. Kevin would grant us a review....
As Dr.Evil says.. "Need the info man.. need the info"

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I placed an order that included a tin of Key Largo. Ever since I read what the members here had to say about it I was on a path to purchase. :puffy:

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I'm about to place an order that will include Odyssey. This will be my first GLP blend and I'm looking forward to it.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@lordofthepiperings
This would be the closest to an aromatic.
Barbary Coast: A unique blend of top-grade cube-cut burley, matured red Virginia and fine Louisiana Perique. A kiss of fine brandy, and an exclusive process polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Satsifying and rich, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
@zanthal Cumberland was definitely a winner for me. I have a small review of it floating around on here somewhere. You really can't go wrong with Mr. Pease's blends. I've had 3 so far, and im absolutely pleased with all of them. Working my way through his whole catalogue is on my list of things to do 8)

Jul 15, 2011
I have tins of Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, and Meridian sitting in the cellar, but haven't opened any of them. Im trying to smoke through the three open tins I have at the moment and let everything else age a few months before I try it out. I am really looking forward to smoking them though.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I finally tried some Haddo's Delight while I was on travel last week and I was pleasantly surprised. I read it cellars well, and gets better with more time on it. With that, I ordered a pound of it this week.
:puffpipe:

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I am a fan of Charring Cross... It is a straight ahead Balkan with Cyprian Latakia. Very smooth, cool burning blend.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I really like Haddo's Delight as well.
@zanthal I would recommend McClelland's St. James Woods for a nice Perique blend.
@lordofthepiperings While it is not strictly a GLP blend, he did collaborate with C&D on English Chocolate, which is a wonderful blend that tastes as good as it smells.
:puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Many thanks for the kind words and support, gentlemen. It means a lot!
No Greg, many thanks to you for being the man, tobacco blender, and all around pipe guru that you are. You make me proud to be a pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.