PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I have a 1929 Dunhill Bent that tastes a bit "sour". It is my only estate pipe where I have ever had this taste. It smokes "musty". Hard to describe the taste, but it is not from the tobacco I smoke in it as I have smoked the same tobacco in my other pipes without this taste/smell. I am assuming this pipe has "ghosted". Recommendations for "getting rid of the ghost"?

Also, I am looking to buy a 1930's pipe that has two cracks in the bowl. The seller is saying that one of the cracks looks to extend into the interior of the bowl. The other crack has been repaired. Can this be repaired and the pipe smoked? Will the bowl eventually fail if I smoke it regularly? Any suggestions or first-hand experience with something like this? Thanks

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The first one sounds more like age over ghosting, but salt and alcohol should fix it up.

The second could likely be fixed with fireplace mortar but I would personally pass myself unless it was something very special.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
The first one sounds more like age over ghosting, but salt and alcohol should fix it up.

The second could likely be fixed with fireplace mortar but I would personally pass myself unless it was something very special.
Thank You. I saw this as well as some baking soda and alcohol suggestions on other threads. I sterilize my pipes with Q151 Rum which is the highest proof alcohol I can buy in California. So I guess that and some salt have a date with this older bent. I hope it works because it really is a nice pipe and would be a shame not to be able to enjoy.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
In addition to paying attention to the bowl, the airway and mortise should be thouroughly cleaned, something that is often overlooked, and result in "bad tastes". The stem airway, the area around the slot in the stem...it all needs to be clean.

The cracked pipe...why? I mean maybe for $10 if I'm feeling generous...

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I clean my shanks the same way as Dave (after a salt/alcohol soak, loosens things up a bit). I run a bristle brush thru the draft hole, dipped in alcohol, until it comes out clean. There's no short cut, and that level of effort typically pays off.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
As to the cracked pipe, as has been said the cost is important. I have a great smoker which had two hairline cracks in the bowl when I bought it. Been smoking it over two years now. I did pay about 5$ for it.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Thank You for all the replies for getting rid of the ghosting in my pipe. Looks like I have a weekend project.. I shall see about the cracked pipe. Maybe roll the dice...

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I just hope that the gunk isn't what is holding the cracks together. Soaking it or retorting with hot alcohol might just make the pipe give up the ghost... in a less literal sense.
The cracked pipe is a different pipe. The ghosty is a '29 bent that I really like so time to get to work exorcising it...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes anything is worth it for the right price. I "repaired" two Dunhills that were badly cracked. One was given to me for free, and the other one was $8.00

Worth the effort, and if I couldn't fix them, I wasn't out much money.

But in the end both pipes are smokeable and should last many years.

fallsguy

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
My 2 cents worth.....
Without seeing the crack, it's lmpossible to know its extent. If it's just a hairline crack, I;d try a coat of pipe mud on the inside. If it's worse than that, clamping the pipe with some good strong wood glue, such as Titebond or Elmers Wood Glue might work.
Then proceed with the Salt/Alcohol treatment.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes
Status
Not open for further replies.