Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Booker was kind enough to send me a variety of aged flakes to try and this was one of them. Now I know what "soapy" tastes like. He said I would probably not like it and he was so right. Three bowls in and I feel like I am sucking on a bottle of "Dawn." Even my ice tea I am sipping tastes terrible now. Washed my mouth out and I blew a few bubbles. I no now what not to put in the cellar.
Thanks Booker for the chance to try this, very much appreciated. A great learning experience.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
That Lakeland essence can be fickle and it's not for everyone, myself included although I've smoked some well aged stuff that isn't too soapy after the first 1/4 bowl. Condor has a whiff of it but there's so much more going on in that blend that I'm able to get past it. I've witnessed some that smoke the Lakelands like there's nothing better. It's all about body chemistry I guess.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
So true, and you don't know if you don't try them. And as a side note, the P&C cheap cob they give in the POTMC burned through at the 1 and 1/2 bowl mark. It did not help the taste but the sparks flying out of the cob looked cool.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I LOVE that soapy taste.............. Probably because I got my mouth washed out with it so many times as a kid for cussing, I grew used to it.......Reminds me of my youth...............&#@& YEAH!!!...... 8)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Dark Flake can be had in both scented and unscented versions. Sounds like the OP got sent some of the former.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2758/gawith-hoggarth-co-dark-flake-scented
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/562/gawith-hoggarth-co-dark-flake

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
But whatever Lakeland is, I like it. Think I'll have a bowl for breakfast. :puffy:

I'll Join Ya!
I love the flavour of DFS and 1792 but they are too strong tobacco wise. Other than that I dream in lakeland. When I first smoked Ennerdale I know I had found my place in pipe smoking.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This sounds like the perfect to end those days when your language has been laced with profanity, a sort self imposed cleansing of the mouth.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
The baggie this sample was in was marked as unscented and when I smelled it I did not discern any scent but of tobacco, and I thought this will be good. Then when I fired it up, the soapy taste was clear and unmistakable on both the inhale and exhale. I am not very educated in subtle tastes yet but this was like a light bulb going off.
Now Booker also sent Kendal Plug to try and I get no Lakeland taste at all and I liked this one.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I recall reading that one of their unscented plugs picked up the Lakeland scent just from being made in the same room/building as their scented version. If you don't care for the taste I recommend you stay away from Grasmere Flake, I've only tried one bowl,(wow),and I'm not sure if it's for me.

The "soapy" that I taste in the Lakelands genre is that of grandma's pink bath soaps. It is the rose geranium and tonka bean used in most of their blends. Rose geranium and tonka bean are also the ingredients used in most 1950's style women's bath soaps that women used to keep in their bathrooms. To me the smell conjures up the images of pink carpet, huge braziers, and an enema bag hanging on the shower rod. It triggers my gag reflexes.
But, I do not get this floraly soap scent from the unscented, and it amazes me that some guys like this stuff. But, to each their own.
If you mean a waxy taste that some report they get from burley's... maybe you taste that as some sort of soap? Some report it from smoking Lane's Burley Light Without Bite (BLWB) and a few other burleys. I don't taste it as soapy as much as waxy, but taste buds are different. But, this would be a phenomena outside the Lakeland soapy, IMO.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Had my first smoke of Dark Flake Scented yesterday.

I enjoyed the flavor, but had a heck of a time keeping it lit. I guess a lot more drying time will be required for future attempts. This one seemed to be a strong one to be smoked slowly.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
booker was very generous with sending my Dark Flake, Grousemoor Plug and a big portion of Cob Plug. I've been in Lakeland heaven since yesterday. That Grousemoor Plug looks like a triple chocolate brownie. I'm loving it.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I love Dark Flake Unscented. I really enjoy blending a small amount of it with C&D Haunted Bookshop. Exceedingly smooth, and will put me to sleep with ease.
By itself, I do agree it is difficult to keep lit. When it's moist, I tend to blend with a really dry tobacco, such as picayune. Even then, I still don't think I get a full, complete burn...

Status
Not open for further replies.