Getting Real About This Pirate Business.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I decided that any real pirate needed a peg leg and a parrot on the shoulder, so I headed off to the local sawbones to have the essential work done. Here is my story.....
Actually, I alluded to a medical issue in another thread and a few questions and comments were posted, so I thought I'd share the details, for good or bad, because you are my "digital" (no pun intended) friends.
I've had some diabetic issues for several years. Due to extreme fear and loathing of our "health care" system, I've been slow to embrace their counsel. I skated by for a while but fate caught up with me.
I've had aggravated callouses on the balls of both feet behind toe #4 (the piggy without roast beef) since my 2nd year in the army, due to badly designed combat boots and miles & miles of abuse in the infantry.
About 2 years ago, I went on a hike with family that turned into an unexpected death march. I finished that day with a nasty sore on the right foot where the callous had previously resided.
After visiting the doctor, I learned that this wound was what they called a diabetic foot ulcer. A rather common but serious occurrence. Diabetes often comes with diabetic neuropathy, which, due to decreased blood flow and nerve damage, lessens feeling in the extremities. It often leads to these open wounds, as the subject can't even feel when a wound develops and only sees it later, if vigilant when changing or bathing and such. Those same conditions also slow healing, a double whammy.
We began treating the wound. It got better, it got worse, a two year battle. I was mentally prepared in advance for the worst outcome. My research on the matter informed me that 14% (1 in 7) of these cases resulted in some loss of limb.
About a month ago, the accompanying infection went hostile. It resisted the strongest antibiotic treatments applied and began to worsen. Two weeks ago, I reported to the hospital.
The joint behind that toe was devastated and infection was headed down the bone at a leisurely pace. The hospital tried a last minute Hail Mary approach, pumping every antibiotic known to man through me, around the clock, some times 2 or 3 at a time. Finally it was determined that the noninvasive approach was not working.
The next day, Doctor Satan went in and cut out toe #4, the joint behind it and as far up that bone as it took to remove infected bone, kind of a little pizza wedge out of my foot. More antibiotics and a day or two of wound vacuum treatment, they squeezed toes 3 and 5 together and stitched her up. Healing seems to be progressing at an acceptable rate. I am on an additional 5 weeks of IV antibiotic therapy at home to ward off any remaining bone infection issues.
I get to be at home and have the IV supplies delivered for self treatment, which is MUCH nicer than another month of medical solitary and round the clock torture.
Now, my right foot is narrower than my left and I can only count to 19 without dropping my pants.
As far as possible outcomes, I feel fortunate.
Some take-aways. Diet and exercise. Do it. A pipe in one hand and a sausage wrap in the other is not a balanced diet. Scrolling the mouse wheel does not constitute cardio activity. My physical activity was slowed by the 30 years of foot issues but I could have done more, also. Fuckin' hindsight.
Don't play around with blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. If your quack says you got issues concerning them, shut your pie hole and take notes. Unless you relish the possibility of living life like Lieutenant Dan.
Now, I am part of a true national epidemic and crisis. We are collectively digging our own graves, one forkful at a time. Contrary to the opinions of our national leaders, ketchup is not a vegetable.
On top of all that, I didn't even get a parrot. My cat won't even hang out, as she's scared of the crutches...
Be well and pipe on!
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have to take in four thousand calories per day and had a total knee replacement at eighteen. Does that count?
Glad your on the mend.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jay, don't just stand there, toe the line!

Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery, with no more limb trimming.

Jan 8, 2013
I can only count to 19 without dropping my pants
Holy crap, Jay :rofl:
In all seriousness, take care of that foot brother, I hope it mends well and soon. And do whatever else you need to do to stay healthy.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I thought you were being a little scarce lately. No wonder! Sounds like you have a great attitude though and let's hope that's the end of that. Tough way to lose weight.
Diabetes is no joke though. A guy who works for me had his leg amputated right below the knee last year because of it. He's doing fine, walks with a little limp but is able to do pretty much what he did before at work. He's definitely more serious about his medication now.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
The line about counting to 19 had me in stitches.
Hope you recover quickly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holy sh**! That is some serious stuff, and you have a very good attitude. I don't think I would. I'd be whining and bitching for months. If you were about to appear on stage, I'd say "Break a leg". Instead, as to getting well, shake a leg.....
Watch some comedy while you recover, which I hope is full and soon.
John

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Jay, that's a major bummer. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. May your recovery be speedy and complete...and may you never have another such serious complication.
And as others said, I'm impressed with your ability to have a sense of humor about it.
Far be it from me to attempt injecting humor into such a situation.
I'll just say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dCAQfkqyA

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Not sure about the intellectual ramifications just yet, but the narrower profile will likely increase the chances of fitting my foot in my mouth.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.