PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the 10/22 takedown being stainless and synthetic will still be shooting good when your grand-kids get it. replace the trigger assembly and you will have a great rig. buy a bunch of different brands of ammo find what it likes and stock up. add a couple 25 rounds mags

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Are those Ruger 25 round mags pretty reliable? I know the aftermarket ones always suck, but I became interested when I saw Ruger made one.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
yes, I would only buy the Ruger brand mags.. I don't have the takedown version but a standard. since he's getting it free my suggestion would be replace the trigger, get 2 extra standard mags and 2 or 3 of the ruger 25 round mags. I just added one of these and much prefer it to a regular scope I paid $40 from Amazon.
41Q1aqbduqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Aftermarket brands have a ton of fit issues in the takedown as well as FTF issues. Everything I've seen and read about the BX-25 mags says they work perfectly....but I live in Cali so no 25 rounders yet :evil:

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
yeah I had the opportunity to get my hands on one a little while ago, and they are a realy neat gun. It is so compact when broken down, and the way it breaks down is so simple and suprisingly rugged too. It has the ability to adjust the spacing where the barrel and forend grip lock together just in case over time and a ton of break downs it developes any play up front. Also it is suprisingly accurate after sighting in and breaking down and putting it back together. Over all it seems like you got yourself a sweet plinker.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It is rugged, reliable, inexpensive to buy, super inexpensive to shoot and more than reasonably accurate. You can scope it, bull-barrel, tacticool or zombify it. Great little gun!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If I got a gun it would only be for outdoor shooting. I had surgery on one of my ears and I can't deal with other guns shooting around me. Very painful.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I always wear earplugs. There are guys who wear earplugs and the over-ear type, too. A real good set will cancel most of the noise. I learned my lesson when I forgot my hearing protection at the range once in the Army. Never again!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Are those Ruger 25 round mags pretty reliable? I know the aftermarket ones always suck, but I became interested when I saw Ruger made one.
I've put roughly a thousand rounds through each of my two Ruger 25 round mags with no issues at all. I like them a lot!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
The electronic over the ear protection is pretty awesome. It amplifies sound if you want but as soon as a gun fires it cancels the noise. They work really well in my experience.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The thing I have noticed is that it comes from right behind the ear. What happened is as a kid I had tubes in my ears because I got swimmers ear all the time. Normally when you grow they fall out and the hole grows back. Well, the one in my right ear left a hole in my ear drum that didn't grow back. I have a little hearing loss in my right ear and it is uber-sensitive to hard sounds like guns and fireworks. Good thing I don't really like guns any ways lol. The electronic thing sounds interesting. I might have to try that some time.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Photoman you should take up archery. Much quieter, an easy skill to get the basics and lifetimes to master. A little like pipe smoking!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I actually used to compete as a kid in archery competitions. I was pretty good and took first multiple times. One day I might pick up a bow again.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Before I die I'd love to fire the Thompson. It's been one of my dream guns for decades.I guess I watched too many episodes of the Untouchables with Robert Stack. I've seen them up close in the military years ago but didn't get to shoot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.