PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
While I'm Not standing in line, I'm a hard core geeked out Star Wars Fan, what's the thoughts on the new Disney Star Wars reboot? It's a reboot you know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In the last three stories of the saga, the Solo twins were supposed to be daughter-Jedi, son-Sith, Luke would briefly be Sith, and Chewbacca was crushed by a moon. Have heard they've thrown cannon out the window, so I'm not holding my breath with this one. Very sincerely hope I'm wrong, but the trailers look too good.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Actively trying not to geek out and be disappointed. After all, I geeked out and got overly excited about the prequels and then...Jar Jar Binks.
Plus, Disney ruins everything. Trust me, I'm a Floridian. :P

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The tie in book trilogy starting with "Star Wars Aftermath" is great. Hope the movie lives up to this prequel.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm gearing up to be disappointed.
From the looks of the trailers, I think JJ Abrams is going to do the same thing he did with Super 8, just recycle multiple plot points from ET and Close Encounters. The trailers look like a rehash of plot points from the original 1977 trilogy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With Lawrence Kasdan involved, the story is going to move along and the dialogue will sparkle. Smartest move Disney made was bringing him back into the mix.
We're seeing it Thursday night. No lines, reserved seats. Sitting on a sidewalk in Hollywood for a week? No movie is worth that.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I've heard that they used practical effects rather than CGI where it's applicable. That got me a bit excited, and gave me hope. I also think hope there will be a kickass lightsaber duel. Even the prequels had some, like Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon/Obi-wan so it's not a very unreasonable expectation. However I'm very concerned about the story and expect no more than a mediocre one.
Got my ticket for Friday on IMAX. Pretty excited besides all my concerns.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
However I'm very concerned about the story and expect no more than a mediocre one.
Don't have that expectation. Lawrence Kasdan. Good writing. Not Lucas, which equaled bad writing.
They used a lot of practical effects where they felt it to be superior to digital. Use the best tool for the job.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'd take Jar Jar over Hayen Cry Baby Darth Vader, any day. I love the prequels, it's Flash Gordon Inspired cheezy Sci Fi.

Kasdan is the only redeeming quality, since the Lucas Approved Cannon was chunked.
Star Wars7 could be great, we will see. Im expecting Fan boy drooling,, versus Lucas Inspired cheesy classic 40's SciFi. Which is what SW was. Love to see what everybody else thinks.
Couldn't agree with you more Sable, no movie is worth that much of my time.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I love the prequels, it's Flash Gordon Inspired cheezy Sci Fi.
Although I'm sure Lucas wasn't aiming for that, I totally agree, that's what he ended up with.
My kids were still school aged when they came out and we used to watch them, particularly episode III, as a comedy-spoof.
Ian McDiarmid is hilarious as Palpatine/Sideous. He steals every scene he's in and constantly mocks all the other characters. But not just that, he seems to be mocking the entire story and franchise as a whole.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
Don't have that expectation. Lawrence Kasdan. Good writing. Not Lucas, which equaled bad writing.
That may be true but I think it's possible for Disney execs to screw with the writing. Still, I'm not rejecting the possibility of a good screenplay, I'm just trying not to get hyped about it.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Plus, Disney ruins everything. Trust me, I'm a Floridian.
As a fellow Floridian and Marvel fan, I have to disagree with that statement. I think Disney is quite capable of churning out good to mildly great films that can please fans.
JJ Abrams, on the other hand, I don't have a lot of faith in. He seems to be a remix artist as opposed to someone with a personal vision. I've enjoyed the films I've seen by him but I'd have preferred a bolder choice to shepherd a franchise like this.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
JJ Abrams, on the other hand, I don't have a lot of faith in. He seems to be a remix artist as opposed to someone with a personal vision.
Exactly what I was getting at in my earlier post.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
By turning emergency power over to Senator Palpatine, Jar Jar became the father of The Galactic Empire.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
As far as Abrams, well I loved the Star Trek reboot, but it's not very compatible with the original series. Which It wasn't supposed to be. Same thing will happen to Star Wars. The only good thing is hard core SW fans are used to writers playin in Lucas's backyard. With Lucas's permission and with no lawsuits to boot. Except Luke Campball and the 2 Live Crew.
I've excepted the reality along time ago, that Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy would never see the big screen. Besides reading the book gives the reader control.. Star Wars was inspired from Lucas's Love of Flash Gordon. It's there, especially in the prequels. I'm not one of these guys that Bash Lucas for changes and get pissed off cause he ruined my childhood fantasies. It's His baby, I love when Directors give their films a final cut. In the case of SW, we got a work in progress, which is even better. Hate the prequels because the movies sucked, not because of your preconceived delusions.
If I had changed one thing, Just one thing. I would've paid Paul Walker (not a Fast&Furious fan) whatever he wanted to be Anakin Skywalker. That would have been Bad Ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.