PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjscha

Lurker
Feb 16, 2013
Great work! Thought I would take a peek at your work and got hooked! Very informative. I may try my hand at restoration some day.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Great job again Greg! I also read your steel wool article, so I'm going to try it as well on my next project. .
(Note to self...take pics! Just finished two Kaywoodies and a Comoy restoration, no before pics...)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I read both the GBD restoration and the steel wool article. Both very well written and useful for me.

I'm thoroughly impressed by the results on that GBD! Great job! Thanks for all the pix and the care you put into the articles. :clap:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Excellent post Greg - great work - looks fantastic, but auto motive polish? Is it non-toxic?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just commented on your work on the blog a little while ago. Nice job! That is really a neat shape. I love how those GBD stems look so bad but shine up so nicely. Enjoy that one, it looks like it would be a wonderful smoker. The nomenclature is also super-crisp, nice find!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Greg:
What a treat it's been watching your maturation in pipe restoration.
You made that New Standard pop, man!
Fnord

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Nice restoration Greg, you've become a master restorer! Although I kind of disagree on the Steel Wool :)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you all for the kind words. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to check in here to see the feedback.
The steel wool will have its place, I think, in some situations. But it won't work on all and, as I think I said, it won't replace sanding, heating, etc for chatter and dents. But it is a good tool to have in the box of tricks.
The polish as far as I can tell is fine: I'm not dead yet! :rofl: Plus, it gets buffed with white diamond and then carnauba wax so I doubt there is any residue; I can't smell any at least.
I used tweezers to remove the cotton balls and it was so much easier than trying to get salt out of the bowl! I may never use salt again: we shall see...
And I'd like to thank all the folks that have answered questions and shared ideas and methods with me to help me along the way. I just hope I can be of some help to others in the future as many of the guys here (and elsewhere) have been to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.