PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Does anyone have any information on this pipe? Is it worth restoring in your opinion?
$_57.JPG

Edit: Fixed the image/Al

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was able to right click your 'image' and get the ebay listing.

That looks like a project, but if you're into that sort of thing, I'd imagine the pipe will be useful with the right attention. I saw a couple small cracks in the bowl that might only require filling or maybe even rusticate the pipe. The stem looks fantastic.

I don't have a GBD, but I hear they're great smokers.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Wasn't able to see it. I have an old GBD Tapestry II that I got on Ebay for about $5 and restored it. I love it. It's easily one of my favorite pipes.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
clangillespie:
Accessing the eBay page per newbroom's post above, it looks as though the GBD logo was hot-stamped into the stem. This indicates to me that the pipe is of more recent production. Older (vintage) GBD pipes featured an oval shaped embossed metal GBD logo which was inserted, rather than stamped, into the stem. Is the band on the pipe hallmarked (I could not tell from the images)? If so, then using them you should be able to date the year in which your pipe was manufactured.
As for restoration potential, if, as newbroom saw, the bowl is indeed cracked, then I would pass, and would consider returning the pipe to the Seller as unsmokable. Additional images would help in making that determination. On the Forums homepage you will find a sticky note which will instruct you in how to attach images to your posts.
Good Luck!
P.S.: Welcome to the pipesmagazine Forums!

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Clangillespie I agree with Newbroom as you can see at least one small crack on it. I hope that you didn't bid on it, if so you did then get some good pics of it and post them. As far as restoring I'm still new to it and only done about 5 so far and working on six more at this time. Not sure what could cause the cracks other that the pipe has maybe been reamed of some built up cake or some hidden flaw in the wood. If a hidden flaw like Newbroom stated filling or rusticating would work fine. I have a GBD that I restored and it is a nice smoker.
There are quite a few ways of restoring out there but I use the oxy clean + magic eraser method for stem cleaning, then buffing it. Salt and Alcohol treatment for the inside of the bowl. Good luck, welcome to the forums and see you around.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Given the damage to the pipe and its status as a Cadogan-era GBD, I would pass on that pipe. There are good GBDs to be had, and this is not one of them.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
danielplainview might be able to do something with it, but it looks like it would need repairs beyond what I could do as an amateur. Are those exterior bowl cracks a sign of burn through?
I'm suspicious of the stem condition. It almost looks like it's been spray painted black. The lack of wear doesn't match the rest of the pipe. And is that a repair band? It doesn't look right either.
For five bucks I'd take a gamble on it but's already into my "no buy zone" price limit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a modern era GBD. The fills and what appears to be a crack here in the briar would put me off the pipe. Plus, I doubt the band is factory, so what is that hiding? If you already invested the $12, it's not tragic, but it would take a lot of work to make it look decent.
$_57.JPG

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Agree, plus there are a lot of good deals on gbd's from a better era and in better condition. I've got some pics of one I picked up for $20 with shipping posted. Also, I recently picked up a bulldog for about 40.00. I'd keep looking.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I made the post in jest when there was no picture of the pipe. It looks a little rough. I've fixed worse, but it'd be lot of work. I say pass.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Soooo many great deals on Ebay...
Pass on this unless you are a master woodworker or a glutton for punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.